Unable to load Windows XP or safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulmtl, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmtl

paulmtl Private E-2

Hello,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to restore my computer to some functioning state. I'm not sure what caused my current problem, but I will try and describe it and hope that someone has some experience and knows how I might solve it.

When I turn on my computer, Windows XP starts to load, but it doesn't, and I get the following error message on a blue background:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is FAT32

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

(If I do not cancel the check by pressing any key within 10 seconds, the following message continues.)

Windows will now check the disk
    Volume Serial Number 07D1-081E
    Windows is verifying files and folders

(Check runs and when complete, the following message continues...)

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

Then, where Windows would normally load, the computer restarts itself and I end up at a black screen with only text, with the following message:

We apologize for the inconvinience, but Windows did not start succesfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was auto shut down, choose Best Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

(There are five different choices that can be selected by highlighting them with the arrow keys)

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

If I select either Last Known Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally, the blue screen loads again, a disk check is performed and then the computer restarts itself and I end up back at the black screen with text.

If I select any of the safe modes, a whole string of text comes up on the screen (see below) and then the system freezes with the text on the screen for several minutes before restarting itself and then this whole loop repeats.

Text that is printed on screen is as follows (plus several lines at the top which I cannot read because the text scrolls down so quickly):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\config\system
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\C_1252.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\C_437.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\l_intl.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\FONTS\vgaoem.fon
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapap.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\intelide.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\MountMgr.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ftdisk.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PartMgr.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ftdisk.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PartMgr.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\VolSnap.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPND.SYS
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\sr.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KSecDD.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\NDIS.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\mup.sys

At this point, I wouldn't even mind getting to a state where I could reformat my hard drive and eliminate this problem. I can't even get my Windows XP CD to launch because I can't get Windows or my command prompt to launch so that I could boot the CD. I'm just stuck in this endless cycle of computer restarts.

My computer is a Dell Dimension Desktop, running Windows XP on a 20GB Hard Drive and a high speed ethernet internet connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

2. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

Do you know what manufacturer your hard drive is? I would run a hard drive test at this point, but it's always best to run the test from the manufacturer. If you don't know or don't want to find out then you can just download dft here. It's bootable...

3. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

I should be a bit more specific. You download the image to diskette or cd and then boot to it. Be careful, you could also screw things up good if you choose the wrong options.

4. paulmtl

paulmtl Private E-2

Thanks. I'll try that and let you know how it goes...

5. saltybull

saltybull Private E-2

Can you get into your DELL BIOS and tell it to Boot CD First Then HDD-1 to boot second? THat should boot up the WIndows XP CD FIRST and allow you to reformant your current hard drive and reinstall windows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds