dsl routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blynn72, Dec 1, 2005.

1. blynn72

blynn72 Private E-2

we are switching from a one computer household to a three. my problem is..what kind of router do i use? we have a westell from our isp but do i have to go out and but two more? i went the electronics store and the kid hooked me up with a wireless router that is able to connect four more pc's to it, but all i can imagine is ethernet wires all over. what to do? take it back and get two basic routers? i am new to all of this.

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

First thing to do is to distinguish between a DSL modem and a DSL (aka broaband) router. Your Westell is probably just a modem-- if it has one jack to connect to an ethernet card in your computer, and another to connect to the (unfiltered) phone jack.

A router is simply a dedicated computer whose only function is to allow multiple computers to share that one modem-- it has one specific ethernet jack that connects to the DSL modem's, and usually 4 more to connect computers to. Yes, that means cabling from each computer. Alternatively, to avoid running wires, you can purchase a "wireless router" for not much more money that, in addition to the usual 4 wired ports, adds a built in wireless access point that will allow multiple wireless connections to share the DSL as well. Of course, you would then have to purchase and install wireless network cards in each of the PCs you can't or don't want to run wires to.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Just to amplify on TheDoug's response: you'll need only one DSL modem (more correctly: terminal adapter) and one router. The DSL modem takes Internet data off your telephone line and feeds it to the router. The router is the device that routes the Internet data to each machine connected to it, and allows the sharing of an Internet connection.

If it's a wireless router, you won't need to run Ethernet cabling between the router and a computer. The wireless card installed in the computer will handle the connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds