Opening/converting iMovie file in Windows?

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Dec 8, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Ok, so here's the deal. My girlfriend was doing some video editing in iMovie on an Apple (bah :p) Anyway, the Apple doesn't have any kind of CD or DVD burner, so what she normally does is save the file as a Quicktime .mov file and then transfers it to a Windows PC and burns it to a dvd.

Now, here's the problem. iMovie is acting stupid, and I don't know much about Apple computers... iMovie will only save the work she has done as an iMovie project file. You know, like Adobe Photoshop's .psd format. It's a file extension that opens only in iMovie. I can get the iMovie project file on a Windows PC, but obviously there is no way to open it.

Anyone know of a program that will allow me to either directly convert it or to open an iMovie project file and export it as a Windows-workable movie? She's done with the editing, we just need it on a DVD now, but we gotta have something Windows can work with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
    Cody

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

A bit more info please.

Is it Windows XP, and is the extension .mov?

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Yes, Windows XP, and no the extension is not a .mov. .mov will play in Windows. This is the extension for an iMovie project. Apple propietery file extension. Not sure what it is, but you have to have iMovie (theoretically) to open it. I don't really want to open it, I just need a Windows program to simply convert it from an iMovie project file to a .mov, .avi, whatever... Anything that will play on Windows. I need a program (or method) that is equivalent to the following:

-Opening the iMovie project in iMovie
    -Exporting it to a .mov, etc. file extension

It's the same idea as having a .psd file but not Adobe Photoshop or a .rar file but not having WinRar.

Hope that helps :D

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Not many Apple users here, but anyway, the extension would be a great help.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

My girlfriend with the Apple is 30 miles away, and I am trying to help her figure out how find the file extension. Googling isn't helping. :(

8. askantik

askantik Sergeant

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'll try to get some apple help here....

Adrynalyne, is, as far as I know, the current MAC "expert"....

10. askantik

askantik Sergeant

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

I PM'd him. Who knows when he'll reply! :)

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its pretty easy. Ctrl-click, or Right click the file. Choose Get Info.

Down at the bottom, it says, Name And Extension. This is an editable field, so...don't delete the info there :)

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

;)

My wife has made it quite clear she doesn't like it when I read the boards. So I have to sneak it in ;)

That, and I have a final coming up. I just turned the class into a passing grade, and if I get an A on the final, I'll pass it with a good grade. So I'm pretty focused on that atm.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Tell your girlfriend to download and install Preferential Treatment.

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download4851.html

Delete any corrupt preferences it finds. As well, go into Applications, Utilities, and open the Disk Utility. Verify and Repair Disk Permissions.

See if that fixes iMovie. If not, she may need to go and delete the iMovie preferences manually.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds