New CPU & MBo but pc is slower!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-2c8b178e92, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Anon-2c8b178e92

Anon-2c8b178e92 Anonymized

XP SP2
    Intel P D 3.4 Ghz
    512 Mb Ram

I recently upgraded a failed MBo / CPU to a new Intel Dual Core processor Gigabyte P4 Titan 775 Motherboard and programmes seem quite a lot slower to open and run than under the old system!!! (was a P 4 3.0 MHz CPU).

I did a clean install of XP on a new HDD.

Is there some tweak I have missed in setting up the new system?

I wasn't necessarily expecting a blazing improvement - but to be running slower???? :confused:

Thoughts anyone?

2. neomer

neomer Private E-2

Have you checked the bios to see if the mobo is showing the processor as it truly is?

3. Anon-2c8b178e92

Good thought - just checked it and it's showing as the correct speed - 3400 Hz. Any other ideas?

4. neomer

neomer Private E-2

I take it that as its a Dual Core and running @ 3.4GHz, it is a P4 945?

5. Anon-2c8b178e92

Correct - Its the 945 model

6. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. Dumb question, here, but have you loaded the chipset drivers for the new mobo? I would think you got a disk with the mobo, but if not, the mfr's site should have them.

7. Anon-2c8b178e92

Loaded them off the CD when I installed the MoBo.

Checked by reinserting CD and letting it scan the drivers to see if theyhad indeed been installed - which they had.

Other thoughts?

8. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

512mb of ram seems a bit underdone as the servant for your dual core...

I would run a minimum of 1gig to improve performance, or better still a 2x 1g stick kit! (dependant on your needs)

Does your mobo support DDR or DDR2?
    Remember all mobo's & CPU will perform differently to certain types of installed RAM configs!

Regards.....

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay it will be assumed that you have assessed the BIOS to ensure DRAM :CPU speeds are similar? What speed is your FSB?

Another thought you have recently built this sys and installed heaps have you done a Defrag?

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to the real world of duo-core CPU's versus the Sales world, cvg

Check out MSKB Article # 896256.
    MS have a hotfix for Pc's that are equipped with multiple processors.

The catch is they recommend waiting for the next Service Pack (#3), as the hotfix is a work in progress, but whether SP3 will ever be released is a moot point.

Anticipated time of the release of SP3 is very near, or after, the release of Vista, and MS mightn't bother.

Hotfix is 251321_ENV_I386_zip.exe.
    Someone might have put in on the Net, independent of MS.

Use at your own risk, of course. I haven't summoned up enough courage to try it on my Toshiba Tecra A7, duo-core laptop, as yet.

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds