IE7 cannot alter home page

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grumbles, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Running Vista Home Edition - IE7

When logging on to IE7, the home page always appears as http//runonce.msn2.aspx

I have gone to Internet Options and changed the home page to Google, clicked apply and this only temporarily alters it for that session.
    On restart, the home page reverts to http//runonce.msn2.aspx

Does anyone know how to stop this happening? I would like Google to be my permanent Home Page.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for the link to Microsoft. The system is only days old, so it is still using the page as its default.

g

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are you running Norton?

5. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Tim

Running McAfee as it came pre-installed.

G

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Have you let the 'run-once' fully load and have you run through all of the steps it presents you with ?

7. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I have the same trouble, but the page is a website (legitimate) and it is set to about:blank (since I often work offline.) I haven't tried looking in the registry yet. I just put a blank HTML document in place of each shortcut to IE, so that's where it starts. You could put a link to google in place of each shortcut to IE, but the Home button will still be set to the other site.

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Not yet - As its' my Dads pc, I wont be able to check until Wednesday :)
    I will do as suggested though.

G

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Check the setting in McAfee ...it is probable that it is what is stopping the change.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Couple of options

1. Like TimW mentions, Mcafee or another security app has hold of the changing of the homepage ( security thing ) Spybot can also do this if installed.

2. Run this Registry change file as all it does is make IE7 thing you have completed the steps in starting IE7 for the first time.

Open Notepad and past this text in

then click files Save As and just name it IE7 Fix.reg, then in Save as File Type, choose All Files in the drop down menu and Save

Then double click the registry file created and merge it with the registry ( remember to have all IE7 windows closed at this point.

or you can just run this app that will do similar to above.. but automatically, just wanted to show the text on what it does http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5651.html

Then change your HomePage to your favoured Google.

11. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Tim and Halo - will do this and get back with result. :)

12. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Success :celebrate

Cheers guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds