is skype killing my computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lostinjapan, Mar 29, 2007.

1. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

Hello,

I have an old computer, windows me (126mb ram, intel celeron processor), but it still usually works ok.

until last week!.....i installed skype, also a webcam software (logitech...which doesnt work) - now it freezes all the time. if i try to open two windows at the same time on the net, disaster. also, if i try to open more than the basic skype screen the same thing.

i dont know so much about computers....can anyone help please?

2. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Could be, I have the same problem sometimes [though I am using it on a 1.8Ghz, 768mb memory, 160gb drive etc system]. Try uninstalling both Skype and the logitech software, I would recommend using http://www.download.com/Your-Uninstaller-2006/3000-2096_4-10143715.html as it removes lots of code the Skype install does not, but the choice is yours, and if you like you can do a system rollback to before you loaded the software. If it fixes the problem then good, it might just be that your system cannot cope with the skype specs. Your system on memory alone does not come near to what skype wants for using a webcam and barely scrapes through for using skype alone, but as I dont know what your specs are I cant comment much more.

3. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

thanks, i want to use skype but may have to do as you recommend.

but....

1. should this software still be slowing my computer even when i am not logged into skype?

2. is another answer to install more ram somehow?

note - i installed "free ramxp pro" and usually my computer has beteen 0 and 30% of ram free

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Well Skype, and one reason why I dont use it unless I have to, is always running in the background even when not logged in, taking up your bandwith capacity and processing resources unless you have purposefully closed it down. Perhaps consider using another system like Freshtel, or an IM or search for an older version of skype.

RAM. well that depends. I dont know your spec so there might be other hardware weaknesses. as a general rule you would do well to have 25% plus HDD space when running a system to improve speeds, and you should always increase RAM where possible. The best thing is shove another stick of RAM in the system. i am not sure how you got 126MB of RAM, but assuming you have not mistyped 128 then this must a combination of some pretty low yield memory. You should ideally never be hitting 0% RAM or anywhere near, it will just destroy performance. Consider this, I run on this machine XP. It has 760MB or so RAM. When I am just reading MG forums it is using circa 300MB or so RAM before I do anything else. I assume you too are running XP and if you are, you are already seriously taxing your system before doing anything else.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You really need heaps more RAM, IMHO. Maybe more than your old PC will recognise.:(
    Even a reasonably modern laptop of a friend of mine, with 256 megs of RAM struggles with XP, much less trying to run Skype and a webcam on it.
    She drives me to distraction as she won't spring $$$ for more RAM at this time. :cry Bazza

+++

6. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Exactly. I need heaps more RAM and I am on 760 odd, so consider how much difference 512 or even 256 would make to your system. in fact for a minimal upgrade go with 512, 256 still drags.

7. bigbazza

lostinjapan has an old PC and is running Windows ME.
    512 megs MIGHT be the maximum that the PC will take.
    @lostin japan@.

Check out EVEREST Free Edition 2.20
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    Size: 4 Mb License: Freeware Requires: Win All Downloaded: 977377 Times
    Rating: 4.76 (1851 votes). Well rated, and used by many, including myself.

Everest should tell you what RAM is in your PC, and what is the maximum megs that can be installed. It will also tell you the number of memory slots that you have and how many are "free".

Also check out www.crucial.com for an on-line scan of your PC, for a second opinion.

Hope this helps.;) Bazza

8. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

well spotted, or in my case badly spotted. Yeah good point. but a comptuer of that age, might be more worthwhile to just buy a new, as in second hand, system or use a less intensive VOIP system.

9. bigbazza

A more modern PC would be the way to go, depending on finances. :D
    As you suggest, a second-hand (or new) PC would be best.
    Running Xp with 1 gig of Ram would be my suggestion.
    Laptop, if lostinjapan moves around countries a lot. ;) Bazza

===

10. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

thanks alot everyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds