Securing my wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamlange, Aug 10, 2004.

1. adamlange

adamlange Private E-2

i just installed a wireless router network. what should i do to secure it?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

First things first. If you haven't already changed the router account login information, do that now.

use a WEP key or WPA if it is supported. Note :WPA may cause slower throughput becuase of its' higher level of encryption.

Use MAC Address filtering. If you know the only machines that are going to connect to your router are your own machines, then enable MAC address filtering and put the MAC addresses of those machine in the config. This will allow ONLY those pc's who's MAC addresses match to access the node.

Turn off SSID broadcast. You know what you named your node. No need to tell the world that you have a wifi point in your house.

and last but not least..
    check this out if you think you've been compromised
    AIRSNARE:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4091

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You would probably get more response in the Networking forum, but maybe a Mod will move this thread there. You have a few different choices, but the simplest is to set your router or access point to only accept connections based on the MAC addresses of the network adapters of the computers you own. You can determine these in WinXP by right-clicking and opening the Status of each Local Area Connection, clicking on the Support tab and pressing the Details button. It's the 12-character value under Physical Address.

[Edit. OK, so I type slow.]

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds