database and linked list with Visual C++ -Need opinions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jim S, May 26, 2007.

1. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

I am finishing up my senior project for school which involves an access database with visual c++. Everything is woring as it should, but one of my professors critisized my work a bit.

I have the contents of a database loaded into a linked list at startup, and if a new entry needs to be added or something needs to be removed, changes are made to both the database and linked list. He says that I should get rid of the linked list altogether. I know it's extra stuff that I may not need, but I feel the linked list makes accessing data easier and faster. I also think that the less I have to deal with the database, the better off I'll be. The program does take up about 18MB of memory while it's running though :p That does seem like a lot for a somewhat simple program.

I just wanted to see what others' opinions were before I changed anything. It's going to take a lot of work to take the linked list out. I need a real good reason to change my program at this point.

2. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

Nevermind. I just changed the program since it's best to do what the boss says. The program is just a fraction of a second slower when accessing the data, but it uses about 400KB less memory while running. I guess the bulk of the memory used was for the visual components. So the program is pretty much complete now. I can finally graduate :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds