Computer crashes at start up

Discussion in 'Software' started by 123Archie, May 14, 2011.

1. 123Archie

123Archie Private E-2

Hi,

At start up, immediately after the Microsoft Logo webpage with the running cursor, my Windows XP computer crashes/freezes on the next page that shows “Press Delete” etc, and comes to a complete stop at this “Press Delete” etc page.

I couldn’t turn the computer off, so I turned off the main power connection to the computer, then turned it on, and then pressed the button to start up the computer and it worked for a few days. The computer started running, sometimes normally, and some times with the Safe Mode windows coming up, where I chose to start normally.

But today, none of these methods seem to work. Even System Restore doesn't work. So, I have had to start in “Safe Mode with Networking” to post this problem and hope you guys can help me.

Many thanks.

Archie

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, 123Archie.

If you can boot the machine into Safe Mode then there's the distinct possibility that some 3rd-party drivers and/or programs are causing the issues.

Try this: boot into Safe Mode, run msconfig. Click the Startup tab, click 'Disable all', and Ok out. Try to reboot into Normal Mode - if the machine boots, then repeat the process, selectively re-enabling the Startups until you find the culprit(s).

3. 123Archie

123Archie Private E-2

Thanks Caliban,:)

I will try what you say, but there is something I don't understand in your message, that is:
    Try to reboot into Normal Mode - if the machine boots, then repeat the process, selectively re-enabling the Startups until you find the culprit(s).

I understand reboot, OK, repeat process, OK; but then how do I find the culprit/s??

Actually, after posting my question on your website, I ran HiJackThis, analyzed the log in the HiJackThis Analyzer on the I Am Not A Geek website, and it showed ctfmon.exe highlighted in red, which as you know means "delete/remove", which I did; and then I ran Malwarebyetes.

After that all seems to be well. Computer started OK today, but there still may be other culprits as you say, because my computer is working rather slow and sluggish and websites are taking a long time to open. So pls tell me how would I find the culprits after rebooting again and again.

Thanks/Archie:)

4. blueice

blueice Private First Class

Archie, you maybe better off just doing a fresh install of the OS...

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Apologies for not being more clear. If the machine starts normally after disabling all startups, then one procedure would be to re-enable half of the startups and trying again. You should then be able to repeat the process until you find the problem item(s).

I'd suggest not using msconfig to fix the issue(s), however - only use it as a troubleshooter. Once you've determined the source of the problem, then use other means to rectify.

Also, the fact that the machine is sluggish suggests that a good overall cleaning might be in order, and that a run through the Malware Forum's Read & Run Me First thread might be worth a shot along with falconattack's suggestions.

7. 123Archie

123Archie Private E-2

Thanks Falconattack. I am running Windows XP. I have Norton Antivirus, but doesnt help much. Most of the time it can't detect viruses, so every time when there is a problem, I have to run HiJackThis and MalwareBytes are remove viruses and other malignant stuff.

This is what Speccy shows when I click on the operating system:
    Operating System
    MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2
    Installation Date: 07 March 2006, 02:21
    Serial Number: BTQGF-2JF7K-VKWYJ-CKGBY-Q7BW6
    Windows Security Center
    Windows Update
    AutoUpdate Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
    Schedule Frequency Every day
    Schedule Time 3 am
    Firewall
    Firewall Enabled
    Company Name Symantec Corporation
    Display Name Norton Internet Security
    Product Version 18.6.0.29
    Antivirus
    Antivirus Enabled
    Company Name Symantec Corporation
    Display Name Norton Internet Security
    Product Version 18.6.0.29
    TimeZone
    TimeZone GMT +8 Hours
    Language English
    Country United States
    Currency $
    Date Format M/d/yyyy
    Time Format h:mm:ss tt
    Power Profile
    Active power scheme Home/Office Desk
    Hibernation Enabled
    Scheduler
    5/23/2011 12:40 PM GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-507921405-1644491937-682003330-1003UA
    5/23/2011 12:46 PM GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
    5/23/2011 1:01 PM Scheduled Update for Ask Toolbar
    5/23/2011 3:56 PM Norton Security Scan for Ajeet
    5/23/2011 5:00 PM RegCure Program Check
    5/23/2011 10:00 PM SmartDefrag_Schedule
    5/24/2011 1:31 AM MP Scheduled Scan
    5/24/2011 7:40 AM GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-507921405-1644491937-682003330-1003Core
    5/24/2011 7:46 AM GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
    5/24/2011 11:25 PM AppleSoftwareUpdate
    5/26/2011 4:59 AM RegCure
    5/26/2011 12:00 PM One-Click Tweak
    5/27/2011 8:00 PM Norton Internet Security - Run Full System Scan - Ajeet
    5/28/2011 8:00 PM Registry Winner Schedule
    5/29/2011 3:00 AM RegInOut Scheduled Scan - Ajeet
    5/29/2011 10:00 PM SmartDefrag
    Hotfixes
    Services
    Device Tree

8. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

9. 123Archie

123Archie Private E-2

Thanks again, Falconattack. On Speccy, I did as you suggested, i.e. Go Summary and afterwards go File - Save as Text file ... and now the file is attached herewith.

I will download the avira rescue disk, asap. Can't do it now, as my cd burner needs fixing, so will only download after getting it fixed and revert if I still have problems.

You suggest I uninstall Norton and instead install Microsoft Essentials. Please reconfirm that I can run my computer without any Antivirus like Norton, and only run it on Microsoft Essentials; or could you suggest some other free antivirus that I should download instead of using Norton.

Also please confirm I should uninstall Norton after running the avira rescue disk.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds