The MG Hater Replies!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wayne82, May 24, 2007.

1. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I think most of you will remember I did a thread here that ended up in a big sorta argument. It was about a blog a came across accidentally.

A few of you said it was silly to critisize someone for what they said in August 2006. And a few of you said that a blog is personal opinion and can be whatever the person wants. Well I agree with both the `afore said things slightly. But to me its still of interest, I dont know about anyone else. I know a few did last time.

Anyway several of you left comments on this guys blog at the time I think including MA. Ive just been rooting around the old Interesting Links and had a look at the guys blog. And he replied a fortnight ago.

Heres the link for anyone who wants a quick read:-
    http://my.opera.com/Chewyfood/blog/show.dml/418808#comments

And before this gets childish again. I know its his opinion, I know hes allowed to have one. Im not trying to achieve anything! I just think its interesting!

;)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Milty's summation:

I'm trying to be objective while stating my opinions.

Does this seem like a contradiction to anyone else?

The guy's an idiot.

This guy too. Why are you coming here for support if you're better than the techs??

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

"Add a comment" .......Twit!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yerr the man, Tim!

5. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The interface comment he made was funny :D

I guess we cant all be AOL users.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ha! Almost as good as your own!

I always thought the MG interface was a bit ahead of its time. I see the same kinda techniques (at least in terms of user experience) being implemented other places a lot lately.

As for the colour, I would have to agree, but olive green is to be expected of a military-themed site, no?

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

quote "Number of files equals a better website? This might be why you apparently hate MajorGeeks. We are a niche website. If it is a tool to help you use your computer, we list it. We do not list sexy asian screensavers or E-books on how to comb a horse. It's not our thing."

You heard it right here, majorgeek geeks won't help me comb my horse. Thats not fair!

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Love the olive-green background in MG. ;)
    Great if you want to print out some tip, or reply, in a forum.:cool

Much better, and easier on ink, and eyes, than white type on black or red backgrounds, etc. IMO. Bazza

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you use some other forums, as I do, that are also base on v-bulletin you appreciates that MG have generally (pun intended) got it right.

I have benefitted from some of the downloads and offer what little knowledge I have in return. I like to think that is a good deal all round.

In respect of 'ranking' download sites. No site does it all, some do it very very badly and I know that blogger is a twit because he doesn't mention some of my favourites. (I mention them from time to time, as they compliment MG rather than compete.) Or perhaps I should heave a sigh of relief that he isn't polluting them too.

Studio T

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I had to modify my post .....

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The olive green matches my MG t-shirt! Coincidence or conspiracy?;)
    You're man of few words, but right on the money!

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Jim and Tim.....please do NOT change the colors of the forum. I'm painting my house these colors this weekend!!! muahahaha........(I'm not kidding).

14. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I read that whole blog, and it's very funny:D
    that guy is a moron

15. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Funny the websites using ugly green nowadays.... Funny his favorite website frequently posts newer version numbers then really exist (Google ranking trick attempt). He has stats like 76.09% yet did not quote the file, version and date, so we could use the way back machine and confirm. I know were not 100%, no one is, but we do manually check all by hand. Also, bigger file sites hosting hundreds of thousands of files typically tend to be more out of date.

I started to reply, then realized... Its just another blog, a slanted article written with a planned outcome.

16. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Softpedia did add an ebook on how to pluck your eyebrows today, have at it.

17. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I agree with Lev . . . I like the colors just the way they are. I also like the format of the site - I can't imagine anyone finding it diffucult to navigate confused

I can't fathom that guys complaints . . . he must be an idiot - or a trash talking spy for Download.com!! :D

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Opinions are like bum holes! we all have them, but some smell more than others!

To critique a websites design tho, someone has to look at his own poor effort to start with.... reaks of pre-designed template, how design adventurous is that!!!

Interface bad.... geez anyone tried Download.com lately!

LMFAO..... rumours from certain people, Jimmy Hoffa or Lord Lucan by any chance? Name them if they are in the know! if not then they are just circumstantial made up friends.

Figures on %s well I would for one like to see the full data list to compair, I deal in data statistics all the time for research projects and its not exact science, as you would have had to look at a large data set to get an accurate figure.

I could do with that eyebrow plucking doc MA, link please?

19. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

@ CMan, *grins* Tim will tell you everything you want to know about combing a horse if you post in lounge, I'm sure others will have tips also :).

@ Halo, MA, *smiles* haven’t seen a post in lounge re plucking eyebrows, but I would post in lounge if I needed the info. I would rather get my advice from people that do it. Think dir. are *pluck*, *yell OUCH*, repeat torture...end of book.

One of the many things I like about this site besides the great tech support and downloads is the fact it's a diverse community of people helping people. I‘ve seen posts in lounge re: car repair, building a computer, gardening, job related, toys, gaming, cooking, remodeling, parenting, legal issues, all real life issues. We don't need or want an e-book, we're a fountain of real life knowledge because MG's encourages members to interact and relax.

It's a great site for all and the only requirement for membership is that you respect other members and the tech forums. If everyone lived by these rules, world would be a nicer place to live in.

I hope Chewy will be a man about it and apologize just because it's the right thing to do.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cat, I totally agree with all you posted above, this is a friendly community which doesnt flame or ignore new members who are novices at PC stuff, we actually encourage these types of users as they are the most vunerable on the internet, so a small helping hand is well worth enouraging.

Nah he will not apologize due to pride and lack of evidence, only thing that has come out of this is that his unknown blog has got recognition from a large download site and forum.

21. Aragon

Aragon Private E-2

I dunno ... what other colours do army folks wear that would be appropriate and stay in style with the 'Major' part of Geeks?

Weird guy that chewed food bloke is.

I did try and post but I just kept getting this

However you look at it the thread has turned into a good add for MG so something good has come from something bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds