Sound Problem with Dell Dimension C521

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flatulent-eric, Oct 4, 2008.

1. flatulent-eric

flatulent-eric Private E-2

Evening All.
    My friend has a Dell Dimension C521. Came with Vista Basic on Board. Someone in her IT section said " I'll put XP home on it - Don't like Vista"
    Re-set worked except sound. Hardware is Sigma Tel 9227 Codec 7.1 Audio Channel. Windows is convinced that Audio is working but it isn't. I assume that this is a Vista driver they have downloaded and won't work with XP.
    There is a 5.1 version to download but how do I get rid of the one that is already there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You should be able to uninstall the current driver by going to the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Then simply uninstall like you would uninstall any other program. Restart the PC when the uninstall has finished. When Windows loads up again, the New Hardware Wizard will probably open up and try to reload the sound driver... cancel it. Then click on this link to download the Microsoft UAA Hi-Def Audio Driver (also known as KB888111). Install it, then install the sound driver you want to use, and restart the PC after installing the drivers, and all should be well!!!
    Good luck, let us know how it goes, and welcome to Major Geeks!!! :wave

[dlb]
    :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds