WD Digital Programs running in background

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I have a couple of WD external HDs, an old(er) 500GB Passport, with which I've never had any problems (except with PSU) and a newer 320GB one. After I plugged in the 320GB (sorry I don't know the model number, it's about 3" by 4") just once, I started getting WDDMService.exe, WDSmartWare.exe, WDSmartWareBackgroundService and WDDMStATUS.EXE running in Task Manager, which I didn't notice before, and WD SmartWare icon in the System Tray (I think it's called). As I haven't pluggged in that drive for months, I was wondering what they were doing ? Do I need them ? In fact, even with that drive plugged do I need them ? The other larger drive did not apparently need them.

Dumb_Question
    24.September.2011

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A (2.7GHz Celeron) - MSI MS-6577 v2.1 - XP/SP3

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

WDDMService.exe
    http://www.file.net/process/wddmservice.exe.html

WDSmartWare.exe
    http://www.file.net/process/wdsmartware.exe.html

WDSmartWareBackgroundService
    this is from a company called Memeo
    The best source of info I could find
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/i/WDSmartWareBackgroundService.exe.html

I think you can stop in from starting up. (I do run WinPatrol on my computers so I would have stopped it when Scotty gave the warning).

WDDMStATUS.EXE
    http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/WDDMStatus-exe/td-p/114510
    can also be stopped and the main program uninstalled; read post #2.

3. Dumb_Question

Thank you, plodr

I'll have a read of those links. I have come across how to stop programs from starting up when I start windows, but of course can't remember how it''s done now, but it seemed quite easy and a standard thing to do in XP.

I am concerned that these programs might be important for the operation of the drive, which I plan to start using soon, so I don't really want to uninstall them. But there should be more info in the links you posted.

Dumb_Question
    24.September.2011

4. plodr

I own two WD external drives. One a huge, old 80GB that came with some backup software (maybe Danzig) and a My Passport Essential 500GB slim portable which also came with backup software more along the lines of what you see.
    I refuse to use the software WD tries to force on me. When it fires up, I cancel out and get some sort of error that it can't run because it wasn't set up. I don't want backup; I prefer full images.
    I make images with Acronis and store the images on both externals (we currently have 8 computers in the house). I have never had a problem restoring an image using my Acronis program and either external. I also have other files on the externals and have no problem hooking a drive up to one of the computers, exploring the files/folders on it and grabbing what I want.
    So, in my case, not running the software nor even allowing it to "set up" has not impaired the usefulness of the external drives.

5. Dumb_Question

-> plodr
    You say
    I've found out how to simply stop programs running on start-up (though it's not what I remember), in case you didn't know (I realise that you probably already know this, so forgive me; and I'm saying how to do this on XP)

click 'start' -> select 'run' -> in the box type 'msconfig' -> select the 'startup' tab on the box that appears; it will list the programs that run on startup; I guess you uncheck the ones you don't want - on my PC I see WDDMStatus.exe and WDSmartware.exe. After you uncheck you need to reboot for your changes to take effect I think. How you add things to that list I don't know...

{refer to http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/32491-control-programs-load-startup.html and others}

The use of msconfig carries warnings about making your PC unuseable !
    Dumb_Question
    25.September.2011

6. plodr

Stopping programs on startup means "installed" programs. The software on the external drive has never been installed so it does not appear in Startup Control Monitor and WinPatrol which I use to control what startup items I allow.

Also: msconfig is not a good way to control startup programs. I mention it for people looking to troubleshoot problems but it is not a recommended permanent solution. For that, I always recommend WinPatrol, or Startup Monitor.

7. Dumb_Question

Thank you.

I thought you would almost certainly know of the msconfig way. I did read of a way that involved loading a program - must be similar to winpatrol etc, but can't remember what it was.

How did you prevent the programs from being installed in the first place ? When I plugged in my smaller newer harddisk to USB it starting running the install very quickly (speaking from memory), like when you plug in a new mem. device it starts scanning what's there and asks you what you want to do before you have a chance to do anything. I couldn't not fail to install it: I could always use CP -> Add/Remove progs of course, but that never seems to completely remove all traces (eg I've still got remnants of Kermit on my PC)

Dumb_Question
    26.September.2011

8. plodr

I stop it when it wants to install so it has never been installed to any computer I plug the My Passport Essential into.
    You obviously have a newer external than I have. Maybe WD got sneakier and installs it behind your back! It wouldn't be the first company to do something like this.

9. Dumb_Question

My newer HD is a few months old I think.

More likely what happened is that I can't remember what happened when I plugged it in, and just siad 'yes' to all the defaults. It only happens that now I've noticed these programs running in the background when that HD isn't even there !
    But the links you gave me earlier tell me that I can use CP to uninstall a couple of them at least.

Thanks again for your help.

Dumb_Question
    27.September.2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds