WIndows XP always rebooting

Discussion in 'Software' started by f0xx, Nov 15, 2008.

1. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

It seems some1 deleted my entry, dunno why... when i restart my PC, it reboots just before the desktop, i have an error log, from the minidump that i debugged throught the WDB tool, can i post my error log here?

Thx

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Yes please do...technical hitch here. Your profile still records you have 2 posts, but for some reason it is not displaying that original post.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Boot and keep hitting the F8 key.

Can you get to safe mode?

If not

'Last known good configuration' should work.

4. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

It also reboots when i try to get into safe mode, its a constant loop with no BSOD...the only way i can end this loop, is to press the ON/OFF button behind the PC case, and then turn the PC ON. When i do this i can get to the desktop without any problems... strange...

Error Log:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.9.0003.113 X86
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\haL\Ambiente de trabalho\w\WERc722.dir00\Mini111408-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Executable search path is:
    Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Built by: 2600.xpsp.080413-2111
    Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720
    Debug session time: Fri Nov 14 13:44:59.171 2008 (GMT+0)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:07:49.863
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    .............................................................................................................................
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, 898f0b28, 898f0c9c, 805d2970}

Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION (f4)
    A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been
    terminated.
    Several processes and threads are necessary for the operation of the
    system; when they are terminated (for any reason), the system can no
    longer function.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000003, Process
    Arg2: 898f0b28, Terminating object
    Arg3: 898f0c9c, Process image file name
    Arg4: 805d2970, Explanatory message (ascii)

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

PROCESS_OBJECT: 898f0b28

IMAGE_NAME: hardware_disk

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAULTING_MODULE: 00000000

PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe

EXCEPTION_RECORD: f40a29d8 -- (.exr 0xfffffffff40a29d8)
    ExceptionAddress: 75b400bb
    ExceptionCode: c0000006 (In-page I/O error)
    ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 3
    Parameter[0]: 00000008
    Parameter[1]: 75b400bb
    Parameter[2]: c000000e
    Inpage operation failed at 75b400bb, due to I/O error c000000e

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - Foi especificado um dispositivo inexistente.

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - A instru o em "0x%08lx" referiu mem ria em "0x%08lx". Os dados necess rios n o foram colocados na mem ria devido a um estado de erro E/S em "0x%08lx".

IO_ERROR: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - Foi especificado um dispositivo inexistente.

EXCEPTION_STR: 0xc0000006_c000000e

FAULTING_IP:
    +75b400bb
    75b400bb ?? ???

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xF4_IOERR_C000000E

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    +75b400bb
    75b400bb ?? ???

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hardware_disk

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xF4_IOERR_C000000E_IMAGE_hardware_disk

BUCKET_ID: 0xF4_IOERR_C000000E_IMAGE_hardware_disk

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

Sry some sentences are in portuguese, if needed i can translate them :p

Thanks

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Stopping the PC with the power switch on the back like this is bad news.

If you can't shut down in Windows, or like now can't fully start then hold in the power button on the front for 10 seconds. This will produce a more orderly shut down.

You need to run check disk on the hard drive.

Either use a Windows Cd if you have or can borrow one (it doesn't have to be the one installed) and boot to the recovery console.

Typein

chkdsk /r

at the command prompt.

Post again if you need help with this.

Alternatively you take the hard drive out and hook it up to another pc and run check disk from there

or

obtain a boot CD with check disk available.

6. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Ok ill try that, i posted in another forum and they say it might be because of the hardisk... it wouldnt surprise me since it has almost 12 years ^^

When im working in windows its actually very stable, but when i want to do a simple restart, it starts self rebooting before the desktop, and its this over and over again....

7. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Ok i did what u say, checked the disk... Should i do more things, or this is supposed to fix the problem i have?

Thx

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is this desktop or laptop PC?

Do check temps as high CPU temp can be a cause of reboot or random restarts, so clean all air vents and if possible the CPU heatsync fan. Was to check on temps is to use http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and the sensor section, if you can as you mentioned get to the desktop .

What did checkdisk say as to status of your HDD, if many errors then likely its on its way out after 12yrs of faithful service.

9. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Its a desktop, my CPU temps are between 30 and 40, thats not the problem... the check disk didnt show anything, at least thats what i think because i left the PC while he was checking, and then it started windows normally without any sort of report... i can get to the desktop since the pc im talking about is the one im typing this. THe problem is that whenever i try to restart it reboots the PC over and over again. Sometimes it shows the black screen saying safe mode, start windows normally, bla bla i already tried every option, even the one that says start with the last good configuration, and the problem persists. Im starting to believe the origin of this problem is related to the hard disk... you guys know any good program to do intense tests to the hard drive?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Windows XP on a 12 years old Hard Drive?

How big is this drive and how full is it?

What make is it?

To stop the rebooting,
    right click on my computer>properties>advanced tab>uncheck reboot on system failure.

This will cause a BSOD on next failure with an error message of the form

stop 0x000000yyy plus maybe some words.

Post this.

This time you will probably have to kill the power to stop the machine, but it will be not cause further damage.

11. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

lol sry 20 years was another HD that i had xD. This one has 7 years, 20gb and im using 12gb.

I unchecked the reboot on system failure, and it happened again with no BSOD, its hilarious, i must be the only unlucky guy with this problem lol. To stop the reboots, i pressed the on/off button (front of the case) for a while and turned it back ON again, and it didnt reboot.... its very strange that the only way i can start windows is by completly shutting down the machine and start it again... very weird.....

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Please lets recap on the information we have.

You have an old 20g hard drive more than half full with Windows XP

Your system is a desktop or tower (make? model? age? RAM?)

You experience difficulty starting windows XP.

Does the system run OK when you have managed to get it going?

If not, does it run OK in safe mode?

Does it suffer random reboots when running?

What version and updates are you running with XP?

Go to that advanced tab again but this time choose performance options

Do you see a tab labelled Data Execution Protection?

If so what are the settings?

13. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Its a Tower ASUS TA something, with a dual core e5200, 2gb kingston 800mhz and an ATI hd4870. The entire system has more or less 1 month. I do experience difficulty when starting windows, but only when i do a restart, other than that its very stable, so there arent sudden reboots. I believe the only way to get into safe mode, is using the same, orthodox way, of completly shutting down the PC and turning it back On again...

Im running windows SP3 fully updated. On the DEP tab i have selected (by default) Activate DEP only for programs and essencial services of windows.

Marktrent, i already posted an error log, and im currently testing my HD with a proper program, thx for the tips.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  14. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

The hard disk has 7 years, and ive changed my entire system about 1 month ago, and transferred the old HDD to my new system. The hd 4870 is a graphic card yes.

I just did a test to my HDD and it is fine, so now im very confused! I thought it was because of my old HDD but the test came with no errors! :S

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

16. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Of graphic cards I understand m8, but thats not the problem i have, just waiting for marktrent to reply what ive said before... thx again :)

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You might understand but we certainly don't.

You keep coming up with important pieces of new information about your installation while we waste time guessing.

If you have just taken a hard drive with XP on it from an old system and placed it in a new one you are more than a little lucky that it boots at all.

You certainly will have problems, including graphics card drivers, so I can't offer any more help until you tell us the full story.

18. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

He asked for my specs, and i wrote them, and the only issue i have i already said many times.

And theres not more information to add, in fact thats the big problem, thats why i came here and told all the symptoms, so that u guys, "experts" ( :) ), could interpert. I have two HDD, one has 200gb, and the other one 20gb... Everytime i buy a new PC i change the HDD's to the new system, and never had a single problem. Studiot asked me something about DEP, ive already answered, but he didnt reply, maybe it was a rethorical question and since im wasting your time, ok fine cya. thx.

19. f0xx

f0xx Private E-2

Ok found the problem, a program named by EPU-4 Engine, was the problem of my crashes -.-. Its an ASUS program that saves energy, and co2 emissions. F***** ridiculous.

20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for the feedback information

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds