Can't remove printer Windows 8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattbiel, Nov 21, 2012.

1. mattbiel

mattbiel Private E-2

I bought a new Windows 8 desktop (Dell) and plugged in my HP LaserJet P1006 and it installed automatically and worked without a problem for about three weeks.

Yesterday I tried to print a sheet of labels and the job got stuck in the queue. I could not clear the queue so I stopped the spooler and then went to c>windows>system32>spool>PRINTERS and deleted the files in there. That cleared the job, but the printer would no longer work.

I am now trying to remove the printer but when I right click on it in Devices and Printers and click "remove device" it asks me if I am sure, I say yes, and then it just sits there. The status at the bottom says "removing device". I have done this several times with the printer plugged in via usb and unplugged, rebooted several times and kept trying, and it simply will not remove.

I looked on the HP website for drivers for my printer and it says "drivers coming soon for Windows 8".

Can you help me remove this printer?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As remove device doesn't seem to work then use add/remove and look for your printer software in the list and uninstall.

I would be tempted as I use HP also to clear the spooler queue using this HERE and purge any printer jobs.

Yeah sadly some hardware makers are slow with 100% drivers for Windows 8 so not all functions work on some printers.

if you cannot uninstall your printer try Revo Uninstaller and see if this works for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds