http/1.1 500 server error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shadowchaser, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Hey all, not sure if this is appropriate here or not but I believe it is as it is directly related to IIS and .asp applications. I have a GML Portal setup on a new host and most of the times it has worked fine. Now we are often getting a http/1.1 500 server error (nothing more specific). After a careful search through Google I have not found a lot of information that is helpful. Some are saying that IIS needs to be redone (which I'm sure my host is not going to be willing to uninstall and reinstall IIS) or a different parameter to be set. The links I have found most helpful are as follows:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/community/messageboard/Thread.aspx?id=17505

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/petergekko/archive/2003/11/20/3796.aspx

Now, I am stuck trying to get my hosting company to realize that they may in fact have something setup wrong. Trying not to tick anyone off while doing so may prove to be difficult as I'm sure they are beginning to see me as a "pain in the rear end" due to asking them to cooperate with me on numerous items already (mainly setting certain asp to application and some difficulty with this present problem). They have suggested that the problem may be with the code but this code is from the GML Portal package and has been proven on many different platforms (not saying it is NOT possible, just not real likely at this point). My host basically leans towards php but I prefer asp and they are supposed to be supporting it (although they don't know a lot about asp).

Now on to my question, has anyone else had any experience in this type of error as it pertains to .asp applications? If so, do you have a work around for it as I'm about to pull my hair out because of it.

TIA!

Wraith

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Im not sure about that particular error but ASP code usually has pretty good error reporting, what you need to do is turn off friendly HTML messages in your browser, and you should get a more specific error.

Hope that helps at all.

3. Shadowchaser

I've turned off the friendly reporting and still only get those errors. I have no clue what to do next. My host is now stating that it is giving back memory errors and has even suggested that it might be a DLLHost problem. I will update as soon as I can. If anyone else can comment or help I would appreciate it.

Wraith

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

was it working before? is this a new site? is it ASP or .NET?

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

That error is a general script error, which means ASP was unable to give a specific error code. If you're using a web-host, its unlikley their configuration is to be at fault.

If it didn't work before, its quite possible the host doesnt support somthing that the portal is trying to use (an extension, maybe). See what the requirements for the portal are and ask your host about it.

6. Shadowchaser

No Goldy, it worked for ~ a couple weeks or so before we started having this problem. Not sure what the deal is.
    ;)

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what portal is it?

8. Shadowchaser

GML Portal, a variation of Crash's Code which uses Snitz Forums and coding as it's base.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds