Modem on the blink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oz_wwjd, Oct 23, 2014.

1. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I'm am having some severe problems with my connection dying all the time,which is a pain when I'm trying to watch videos on various sites on the web. My ISP insists that they don't notice any dropouts that they don't count as being within normal requirements,which leads me to believe that my modem is dying. It's out of warranty so my only action is to buy a new one,but before I do that,is there any way to tell if the modem is actually on the way out? As I'd hate to spend money then find that something else is causing the problems.

Attached Files:

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

What brand/model of modem is it?

Have you tried a factory reset of the modem?

What type of service do you have? Have you checked the incoming line to make sure it is not damaged or somehow subject to interference?

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

What is your antivirus suite?

4. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I use AVG Internet security 2014 as my Anti-virus program. My modem is a Netcomm86 Adsl2+. I've had had a technician to check the phone lines for a related problem and he was unable to find anything wrong. I've just tried a factory reset and I'm unable to detect any increase,as the problem comes and goes,it's not consistent,but it's also a relatively new issue,as it started about a week ago. Before that everything worked fine. I can't think what else would be causing these problems.

5. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I too have a modem that functioned as a "Residential Gateway." I had a problem with my internet connection dropping, but it turned out it wasn't the modem part of the gateway that was the issue. Mine started out of the blue also, and wasn't consistant nor was there an obvious trigger for it.

I finally decided to just put my gateway in "passthrough" mode, shut off it's wi-fi, and use an external router with wi-fi. Haven't had an issue since. I did some research on my brand of gateway to get the proper settings.

6. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I've always used a landline,as I've had problems receiving wi-fi signals due to where I live,and the way I have my modem setup. I'm not even sure if I could do what you describe with my modem,but my guess is probably not. I'm just trying to rule out the option on what's causing it,as a sudden decrease like this,something has to be causing it.

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Check in the modems web page history/log. Any unknown ip or mac address? Have seen ddos attacks logged before. See if anything is going on for the dates and times your having trouble.

8. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I see a lot of events as follows,which seem to time with when I have Internet problems:kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_8_35_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=222.186.56.69 DST=101.174.40.238 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=107 ID=256 PROTO=TCP SPT=8270 DPT=22 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    2014/10/25 13:38:53

User alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_8_35_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=221.154.74.26 DST=101.174.40.238 LEN=52 TOS=0x08 PREC=0x00 TTL=105 ID=26934 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=63018 DPT=25 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_8_35_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=218.77.79.43 DST=121.217.6.195 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=231 ID=54321 PROTO=TCP SPT=48325 DPT=8080 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Apart from that,not too much there apart from warnings that "kernel: MASQUERADE: No route: Rusty's brain broke! "

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

10. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

It appears that someone thought it was funny to launch a DDOS attack against my connection,for whatever reason,which my ISP didn't think was funny,when I reported the matter to them. It appears that the problem has been fixed for now,but if the attack continues,I may have to think about a newer modem,that has better security for stopping such things. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds