Computer won't run '.exe' files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Geek Minor, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Geek Minor

Geek Minor Private E-2

Hello and thank you in advance to anyone taking the time to try and help me with this issue. I seem to be in a bit of a bind. I recently decided to run some (very overdue) system maintenance on my computer, according to one of the tutorials on this site and was getting close to finished, with no issues, until I ran "SuperAntiSpyware" as a 3rd malware detection pass. It detected a number of "threats", which I happily "repaired" and thought all was well.... until I went to run another program. Now, anytime I attempt to run any '.exe' file (which is pretty much everything) I get an error window stating: "Windows cannot open this file", along with the option to "Use the Web service to find the correct program", or "Select a program from a list of installed programs". Thankfully, clicking on "Use the Web service" will bring up a browser window, because otherwise I can't even open my browser either D=)

Of course, I tried to look it up and fix the issue myself, but a solution is proving elusive due to some additional issues;

- As my computer cannot currently run ANY ' .exe ' file, I am unable to install or run any program that could repair the problem.

- I have tried Microsoft's automatic "Fix It" tool, but it didn't work. I then attempted to follow their instructions to fix it manually, but was unable to run "Regedit.exe", so couldn't get any further with that.

- When I right-click on a Start Menu item, "Run as Administrator" does not appear. This is my computer and I am the only user, unfortunately, I don't know how to switch to the admin account, if it's not me, or if that's even a thing, and wasn't able to find any specific directions about it online, other than something involving bringing up a "cmd" window, which involved BOTH running an '.exe.' AND right-clicking to "run as admin" :(

- Finally, I attempted a System Restore, but when I went through:
    Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Backup and Restore Center -> Restore Files from Backup; nothing happened.

Then I went through:
    Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore; I just got the error window saying "Windows cannot open this file: rstrui.exe"

So, with my limited knowledge, I have hit the proverbial wall and would really appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. I'm currently unemployed and don't have the ability to take my tower in to the local shop and need my computer to look for work. hahaha, jeez.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Here is some basic info about my system:

HP model m8020n, Intel Core2 CPU, Windows Vista "Home Premium" 32-bit OS.... Sorry if this is superfluous, or unnessessary information, but I'm really not sure what to include... Let me know if you need more and I'll do my best to find out!

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Geek Minor...

Hello. A couple of things come to my mind.

1. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? F2, F8, or F10 during the BIOS (first) part of a boot should take you to boot options including Safe Mode. If everything is normal in Safe Mode, you will at least have some tools to work with.

2. Do you have a Microsoft Windows Vista 32 bit installation disk (not a restore disk from the manufacturer)? If so, maybe you can run SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt which might find and repair your problem. Also, there is a repair installation (all your files remain intact), although I am not familiar with the workings of Vista. Here:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

it says that you need an installation disk for this, too.

I've been through this before. Some malware does nasty things when part of it or all of it is removed. Basically it sets up abnormal dependencies, which cause your PC to break when the malware is no longer present to keep the dependency chain active.

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Try the below:

Download Windows Repair by Tweaking.com and unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.

• Open up this newly created folder and then open the "files" folder (...\windows repair v1.5.7\files)
    • From here, locate the fix_exe_hijack.inf file and then Right-mouse click it one time, then choose "Install".
    • Once you have done this, you should now be able to open applications again.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

5. Geek Minor

Geek Minor Private E-2

Thanks for your replies folks. I lost my Internet connection for a few days due to some repairs around the house, and seem to have made things worse in that time. Heh heh.... err....

In my inexperience, I tried to run a program with "Internet Explorer", when it said to "open with;", and now apparently I've set the association for all .exe's to IE, so, of course nothing is working and I' m checking the forum with my iPad, because my browser won't even come up at all.

I will certainly try your suggestions, if I can figure out how, but I might just end up reformatting, at this rate. Hopefully I can find my (almost decade old) start up disk, or whatever. Damn, I hate being so clueless! Lol Guess I should learn more about computers instead of just playing console games all the time. (I hope that's not a bad word here...) ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds