SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kyle_Katarn, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

I've jsut released a new freeware called SUMo - Software Updates Monitor.

SUMo notifies users when updates are available for their favorite software

Soon on MajorGeek.com [Jim : your email no longer works !!!] ?

[​IMG]

Web page : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

juboy11976 likes this.
  2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

SUMo looks extremely interesting. :cool

I hope Tim and Jim list it on Major Geeks. Not there, as at just now.

I've just downloaded it, to give it a try. :major Bazza

AtlBo likes this.
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Kyle, think we have some problems with the majorgeeks.com email addresses, so I will post a link in the forums admin area for Jim or Tim to see this post of yours.

AtlBo likes this.
  4. Kyle_Katarn

Thank you !

Do you know what's happenning with your email addresses ? I've been unable to send an email to Jim for maybe a couple of entire months !

Good luck and please do not hesitate to send me feedback or suggestions.

5. bigbazza

have just tried out SUMo with great results. It picked up lots of programs that need updating. See thumbnail attached. For example it tells me that Internet explorer needs updating to IE7 which I know and ignore.

One thing that needs a slight modification, is that the program almost runs out of room to ADD programs if you have your Taskbar set to double height as I do.

It only leaves a very small window to click on when you get past 35+ programs already selected.

Some programs are unable to be loaded into SUMo but that is apparently the original programmers fault in not having keys to track whether updates are available, or not.

Sumo is well worth trying, IMO. Bazza

Attached Files:

6. bigbazza

Finding programs that need updating is easy enough. :cool
    Getting SUMo to find the relevant updates and carry out the updates is not so easy. :cry

In most cases, so far as I am testing, it goes to Google links and you have to find the update yourself. :p

Not so easy in some cases. Still testing. :D Bazza

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We changed servers, email should be working now. Email should be working, i emailed with someone at your site, trying to get links back to us to download the codec packs. tim@majorgeeks should be working.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

FYI, our mail servers are having DNS server issues that were working on, i emailed you, but not sure if you wrote back, should be cleared up by morning.

9. Buckeyefan

Buckeyefan Private E-2

10. bigbazza

Thanks for that link, Buckeyefan. :)

Reading their info, it seems that it will work better / easier than SUMo. :cool I will give it a try. ;)

To quote from them:
    Bazza

===

11. bigbazza

Just tried out updatechecker. It is a lot faster and easier than SUMO but nowhere near as comprehensive.

Once you set up SUMO (with details of programs on your PC) it will check out a lot more than updatechecker does BUT is harder to find the relevant updates.

Now if only we had SUMo ( for programs to be checked) and updatechecker for speed and ease of finding the relevant updates, we would have a great application.

Updatechecker found 4/5(one BETA release), on my PC. SUMO found 13.
    Bazza

12. Kyle_Katarn

13. Kyle_Katarn

This has been improved in v1.1 which has a brand new super fast "Scan" function (different from the previous "scan" function in v1.0)
    "useless" updates detector (uninstallers, setup...) improved too.

14. Kyle_Katarn

Updatechecker FORCES you to go to filehippo.com. SUMo leaves you free of using the download server of your choice.... MajorGeeks.com for exemple ;-)

15. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I recently tried Secunia Personal Software Inspector. I got some updates, identified by it, including SP3 for Office 2003, but decided to uninstall it because it was slow to start on my system. Once installed, if launches during startup and runs in the background. I found no option to set it to manual start, except by running msconfig and unchecking it in the Startup list.

Still, the info it reported was interesting and, as I said, I updated some applications as a result of having run it. It did provide links to download sources, at least in some cases. Note that it's still in the Beta testing phase.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I definately see an advantage here with choice of download location.

That said...

Folks, lets stay on topic. We are discussing Kyle's software, not any other. If you have the need or desire to use another program, do so, but stop hijacking this thread and stay on the subject of SUMo. Udatechecker, or Secunia whatever the heck it is, is not the software in question here.

Thanks.

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

OK, sorry about my post on Secunia. If the forum had a delete option, I would delete it.

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its fine Usaf. People get easily sidetracked in threads like this, which I'm hoping can be avoided :)

19. Kyle_Katarn

You can leave it as your post was "in a spirit of cooperation".

But some feedback or suggestions concerning SUMo would be greatly appreciated ;-)

20. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I visited the website and was directed to ftp://kcsofts.dyndns.org/ to download. Do i choose any the three choices at the bottom of the list there, depending on my preference?

21. Kyle_Katarn

22. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Sorry, but I find the route to downloading it confusing. Can we clarify that? Let's say http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo is the starting point, right? I see a screenshot of the software and just below that is a link to Download. That link takes me to http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?download. Near the top of that page, I see some links arranged horizontally; they are Home | Software | Download .... I click on Download; it does nothing.

Near to bottom of the page, I see the title, Alternative FTP, and a link to Alternative FTP server #1. I know you've given me the link in your last post, but why am I not able to get there from the website. Was that link supposed to open when I clicked on Download, at top of the page, and nothing happened?

I'm using Firefox, with Win XP Pro SP2. I'm using DSL Internet access and I have a router between my DSL modem and my computer. And, I'm running a software firewall.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

usafveteran ~ Yep if the starting point would be http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo which you click Download, this like many sites and developers sites take you to a list of downloads for their software, the download link ftp://ftp2.kcsoftwares.com/kcsoftwa/files/sumo.exe works fine, then as an alternate Kyle has given a link direct to his FTP which lists all the software for download, this works fine.... ok both in IE7, Opera and Firefox 3.0 alpha for me.

If trying the FTP download then try IE or Opera to see if they access it and also check your software firewall for blocking FTP on Port 21.

But you should also be able to download it via this link ( ok we are one build behind as Kyle has been busy with revisions ) http://majorgeeks.com/SUMo_d5824.html

@Kyle ~ this new revision works well in Vista x86 SP1, the Auto-application scanner is a welcome inclusion as adding one by one as in previous version would put many users off.

I know one reason why to direct to say your favoured search engine or just to search your favoured download site is that many developers change the download locations to allow you to keep track of them all so as a heads up this app is good and told me out of the 44 apps it auto found that 18 had updates.

Just a suggestion for now is that could you add a few other search providers in your list as google is not always accurate when searching for software, as I find Clusty much more accurate and others may like their fav.

24. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Downloaded to a Win2k machine ...no problem and the 4 apps it found needing updates where programs I choose not to update ...so, good to know.:)

25. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Somehow, I installed it without getting a shortcut to it anywhere; not on the Programs menu, not on the Start list, and no desktop icon. I had to locate the executable file in the folder in Program Files folder and double click it to run the program.

I was pleased with the way it worked. It scanned fast and the checking for updates also executed quickly. Of course, the latter is probably directly related to the speed of the user's Internet connection. It's findings seem quite thorough; it found a lot of products in my system for which updates are available.

26. bigbazza

Kyle, I've just installed the latest version of SUMo. :)

What intrigues me is that you can find the latest version available and specify the version number, but not provide us with a link to that version.

I have attached a thumbnail of my programs needing updates, but when I go to the Google link you provide I am unable to find reference to the new version.

As you will see, Google link points to "Apple" or "Borland" or "Realtek" but I am unable to find the new version link no matter how much I look, or make up my own Google search for the various update versions.

Am I missing something when I search the Google links provided?

Bazza

===

Attached Files:

27. Kyle_Katarn

Halo : I'll try to add more "source" soon.

bigbazza : the way SUMo works is a bit more complex. Latest version number is not directly fetched from the developper web site or any similar source (like most web site do). SUMo relies on social networking : it uses version numbers submitted by other users to determine if a "more up to date" version exists.
    That's why it is easy to me to give you the most accurate "updated version number" but pretty hard to get a direct link ;-)

28. bigbazza

Thanks for the update.:) It would help greatly if other users would submit their link at the same time. :D

I find it almost impossible to track down the updates via your "Google" route. Especially for those I mentioned in my previous reply. :cry

Also the latest version knocked back some of the valid "exe" files I had loaded in the previous version. :(

Message was : Not loaded:C:\Program Files\Snapshot Viewer\SNAPVIEW.EXE for example.

5 were rejected in the latest version of SUMo Can you throw some light on this happening? Should I re-load them again? Bazza

===

29. Kyle_Katarn

The latest version refuses some EXE previous version did acces because :
    - v1.1 correctly apply the "reject Microsoft software" setting (if set by user)
    - v1.1 rejects "Installers" that v1.0 accepted (as their usually do not need to be ... kept up-to-date)

Does your 5 case are of these kind ?

30. Kyle_Katarn

31. bigbazza

Just downloaded the latest version today. :) Will try it out later today. Bazza

32. Kyle_Katarn

Thanks !

Change Log :
    - 0000367: [Bug] When using context menu "Check", Software name is not updated (if changed) (Kyle_Katarn)
    - 0000362: [Bug] If server times out : version is said to be ok instead of unknown (Kyle_Katarn)

33. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Usaf, it doesn't actually do nothing. What's happening is that the Download link in the links arranged horizontally across the top is a link to the page you are already on. So your browser notes your request to go to that page, checks and sees you are already on that page, and doesn't try to take you there again.

If we want to put it in wonderful "Yes, Minister" style, we could say:

Your browser acted on your request by doing nothing. So you see, it did do something; it checked and saw it should do nothing! :p

You can normally check to see where links go by checking what it says in the status bar at the bottom of your browser window. Hover your mouse over a link and the status bar will show you where the link goes to. Using this, you can compare two links to see if they go to the same place.
    (NB: Don't anyone do this on sites you don't trust to see where a link goes. It's possible to make the status bar tell you the link goes somewhere completely different to where it really goes. Only do this on trustworthy sites.)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  34. Kyle_Katarn

35. Kyle_Katarn

36. bigbazza

37. Kyle_Katarn

38. bigbazza

I've just installed the latest version. SUMo is great for finding out how up-to-date our programs are, but is hopeless at finding the relevant updates.

Even the Google search link only works for me about 10% of the time. :cry :(

Why can't you insist on those who tell you of the latest updates providing the link to same. It would be a hell of a lot easier. Bazza

39. Kyle_Katarn

I've added link to the Editor's web page, which works most of the time... You can use the MG links to find your source easily ;-)

40. bigbazza

Thanks Kyle. I'll check it out. Lots of my updates are not on MG, like updates to HP and Toshiba stuff so they are a lot more difficult to find. :cry Bazza

===

41. Kyle_Katarn

You're perfectly right and these are often the hardest to find anyway ;-)

42. Kyle_Katarn

43. Kyle_Katarn

44. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Still want bug reports here?

7zip reports an erroneous latest version. Latest version is 4.57, not 4.58.2.

45. Kyle_Katarn

46. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Awesome, thanks.

47. Kyle_Katarn

48. Kyle_Katarn

49. Kyle_Katarn

50. Kyle_Katarn

You're welcome.

If you like it, spread the word ! The more users, the best it will be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds