No Sound in XP SP3 with error code 39

Discussion in 'Software' started by mitchb12, Nov 10, 2009.

1. mitchb12

mitchb12 Private E-2

I had to reinstall Windows XP Home SP3 and now I'm not getting any sound.
    Everything else works correctly.
    The computer is a Sony PCV-RS530G.
    It has the Soundmax digital audio on the board.
    In the device manager, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)."
    I've been to the Sony website and downloaded the chipset and sound drivers.
    It says it installed everything correctly.

I then tried buying a soundcard (Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1).
    I turned off the board's sound in the BIOS and loaded the new sound drivers.
    Everything said it went fine but I've still got the same Code 39.

I've seen the posts here and went to the registry to look for the upper and lower filters but there aren't any for the sound.
    I tried the solution where you roll back to XP2 and install the drivers but still no solution.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1231476&postcount=2
    I did notice that my other computers have wdmaud.drv in the driver list details but this computer doesn't - but it is on the computer in system32.

Any more suggestions? Or do I need to try to reinstall XP again?

2. TheRealMethuselah

TheRealMethuselah Private E-2

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

4. mitchb12

mitchb12 Private E-2

Thanks Major Attitude. I checked this out and I don't have those filters in my registry. It only seems to apply to CD / DVD players not sound cards.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just following on from Major Attitudes reply, is could you tell us what devices have yellow ! marks by them in Device Manager?

If you have SP3 then you have the UAA driver as it was built in, rare occasions is the need to fool Windows into thinking you have only SP2 installed then installing the UAA again and then audio, but only if as Major A mentions the Chipset is installed, so the reply to the question I asked will help in this regard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds