PC not recognizing micro USB cables

Discussion in 'Software' started by klingondragon, Jan 28, 2012.

1. klingondragon

klingondragon Private E-2

My computers (plural) wont recognize a Micro/Mini USB cable when connected.

I have 3 custom built desktop computers with Windows XP and all updates done for OS. I have one laptop with Windows 7 on it.

In all 4 devices anything I've connected via USB and any other end configuration works (camcorders, multitude of different manufacturer phones, Apple phones/pods). Now I have 2 devices that (Apple and HTC) use a micro/mini USB and none of the computers will see the device. Also I've tried with 2 seperate makes of the cables and nothing

I've checked My Computer and Device Manager and it doesn't seem to be recognized.

In all cases the devices show power available to them so the cable is at least working that much and the computer port is delivering power.

I've tried looking online and talking to the more knowledgeable computer people I know and no one can help me figure out this issue.

I could understand if nothing worked in the USB ports or if it was one computer or one cable but I've tried 4 computers, 2 operating systems, 2 cables and 2 devices.

Either it is a driver issue or a user issue :-o (I'm not above admitting I'm not a real Geek on computers). Either way I REALLY need help to figure out this one. I have pictures on the HTC that I need for court hearings (custody) to protect my daughter.

Thanks for anything ya'll can do for me
    KlingonDragon

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird issue as it happens only with this device opposed to other USB devices, so is not a Windows issue but more driver or hardware, so what is the make and mode of the cable/micro usb you have now?

When you plug it in does anything show in Device Manager (use Windows 7 to test this) and open device manager up and open the Universal Serial Bus controller branch up and then plug in your device, is a new device added?

If not then again in Device Manager click View > Show Hidden Devices and are their any devices in the USB branch that are greyed out? if so right click and uninstall them then plug your cable back in to allow the driver to re-load.

However in your using 4 different PCs its likely to be the hardware thats at fault for some reason, and what HTC do you have as could you not email the images to yourself?

3. klingondragon

Thanks for the reply. I have tried device manager and hidden files and it is still missing.

I have tried 2 usb cables to try and eliminate that issue. One is an older cable so I bought a brand new cable and still no help. :confused

I know PC's fairly well so have tried all the basics I can think of.

I have also tried to connect an Apple device using the same cords and experienced the same issue.

A friend of mine recommended getting micro/mini usb drivers by clicking update drivers. I have clicked update drivers on every driver that is listed in device manager and all say it is working and has the most up to date drivers. Would there be another way to get the drivers for this?

Any other ideas as to what might be a fix? I know enough that with direction I can repair or fix everything. I just can't figure out this issue.

I did try what you recommended and it never showed up. This only happens with devices that require the Micro/Mini USB connection.

I don't like to e-mail important or delicate things as that puts them on the internet.

Thanks
    KlingonDragon

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure about the apple device but for the HTC have you installed HTC sync?

http://www.htc.com/www/help/install-htc-sync/

5. klingondragon

Thank you for all of your help. Turns out the problem was that the cables I was using were for charging only. They didn't have a data capacity.

I got a cable for data and everything started working.

Guess all of us get caught in the simple stupidity sometimes. :-o

Thanks
    KlingonDragon

6. SoftwareGeek

SoftwareGeek Private E-2

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the same problem (came here from a search) - I know my cable is working (it allows me to charge it when I add on a plug on to the usb cable), but doesn't work when connected to my PC.

I tried looking at the device manager and the cable isn't showing up - so it's not even recognizing that there's a connection it doesn't know. I'm wondering whether it's a power issue or whether it's a driver issue?

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm quite pleased you have unearthed this old thread as I was just about to dump a USB > Micro USB cable because my new Windows phone isn't being recognised by my computers when using, it but it's the same situation the OP had - the cable is only for charging, not for data. Sounds like you may have the same situation.

8. SoftwareGeek

SoftwareGeek Private E-2

Ok, so I tried another cable I was able to find and I guess it had something to do with the wire. It's bizarre that I can charge from the outlet, but not through the computer, but I'll chalk it up to one of those mysteries I'll never solve ... le sigh.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have just learned what smartphones never to buy - Apple, Windows and HTC. Thank you.
    I use the supplied USB cable to connect my smartphone to my PC. I can use the phone's modem (via USB tethering), move and/or copy files between phone (USB storage and memory card) and PC, all while the phone is being charged by the PC. How is this possible?
    Maybe it's because I have a lowly Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo...:-D

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Well in my case it's certainly nowt to do with my Windows phone as both charging and data exchange work simultaneously just fine when connected with a decent cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds