Cyber crime is getting worse (and easier)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BILLMCC66, Jan 13, 2013.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'm not sure what's worse. The threat of being hacked or the goofy comic book pages.

I use the simple expedient of not keeping money in the account I use with my computer. I keep the minimum amount of cash necessary to keep the account open, and the rest gets transferred in when I want to use it.

Of course, not everyone is as clever as me. ;)

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

The C/C I use for I-Net transactions has a limit on it and is insured against theft and Fraud, but yeah, it's still a worry. Never had a problem yet, but the scumbags try occasionally.:mad They don't get past my security, but they are always out there.

5. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hmmmm I never do any bank stuff on either computer or smartphone so I am quite safe :cool
    If I absolutely need to buy something online then I have a separate credit card at a different bank with a very low limit which doesn't matter if it gets ripped off as the bank will reverse any unapproved transaction if there's a problem :cool

Email addresses are still the big worry though and there is no easy way around that :( Especially if the hackers send their tons of SPAM from a spoofed server but use your real domain email address as the sender address :cry:cry You then receive a huge pile of emails from mailer daemon rejected emails, mailer daemon notices of undeliverable email and also IP range blocked from server due to high SPAM activity :cry:cry Changing mail server passwords doesn't fix the problem because they send the SPAM from some other server but using your actual address as the sender or the opt out link and so you are only receiving the fallout from the bounced emails:(:( Our company was receiving over 500 bounced or blocked emails per hour for three days until I deleted the mail account for one week and now we have some heavy filters set in SPAM Assassin on our mail server ;)

Thanks Bill :wave Interesting article in a general overview sort of way but didn't like the crappy cartoons...... WTF :crap

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds