Flash Player "Allow" Problem with Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Twistid, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Generally I don't use Internet Explorer as it is embedded in Windows and I often feel like Firefox runs better and is more secure (especially with some good Add-Ons). However, there are times where I still need to use Internet Explorer.

I'm on a Windows 8.1 system.

I've encountered an annoying problem with Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer where if I access a a webpage that uses Flash, then it will constantly bring up a dialog box at the bottom of the page that says "This webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from 'Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Compon...'." When I click the Allow or Allow for All Websites button, it just refreshes the page and brings up the same dialog box at the bottom of the page again.

I probably created this problem when I tried uninstalling the Adobe Flash Player from my system using iObit Uninstaller with the Powerful Scan afterwards that found some orphan files that weren't deleted from the uninstall. I deleted them. It seems like Adobe Flash Player is now embedded into the Windows 8 systems. I did not know this at the time if that's true. Afterwards, I tried reinstalling the Adobe Flash Player by downloading the Flash Player install from Adobe through my Firefox browser. I tried doing this in the first place because Flash had been constantly crashing on me when using sites like Facebook. So I may have some missing Windows 8.1 files that apply to the Flash Player, but may not be installed by just downloading the install from the Adobe website.

I've tried uninstalling the Flash Player using the "uninstall_flash_player.exe" file from the Adobe website, and then reinstalling the Adobe Flash Player again. It will only allow me to download Flash Player through my Firefox browser. When I try accessing the download page through Internet Explorer, it just sends me here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html and gives me the Allow dialog box at the bottom of the page again.

I've tried Enabling the Flash Player in the Manage Add-Ons settings page (it's already enabled). I've tried disabling it and then enabling it again.

ActiveX Filtering is also already disabled.

I've tried downloading and installing the "Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 (64-bit machine)".

I've tried running the "sfc /scannow" command through the Administrator Command Prompt in Windows. It did find one problem: "Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB". I found this in the log file at the bottom. It could not fix this issue though. This seems to have been fixed already though using the SFCFix.exe file fix from another computer repair website. I found the site after doing a Google search for the specific file I was having a problem with. It seemed to be able to fix the problem with this specific file, though I haven't done another "sfc /scannow" run to double check. Oddly enough the Windows 8.1 update showed up again after running this fix. I tried installing the update again (I had already done so once previously), it appeared to install but only took a matter of minutes to go through the "install". It was a 600+ MB update and seemed like it should've taken a lot longer to install, so maybe it was just installing something that was missing. It then claimed it was installed and hasn't shown up again.

I've tried resetting Internet Explorer to its default state using the Reset button under Settings->Internet Options->Advanced tab.

I do not have any System Restore points because those have been deleted after a recent flush of them. The System Restore points were deleted because I had just recently did a system scan and submitted some logs on here to check for any possible Malware issues. After I was told I didn't appear to have any malware, I disabled System Restore temporarily and just hadn't gotten around to enabling it again yet.

The problem with Adobe Flash Player here still persists. This problem only occurs in Internet Explorer. Mozilla Firefox does not give me any problems with Adobe Flash Player at all.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Adobe Flash gets updated through Windows update in Win 8/8.1.
    Run Windows update and see if it finds you need flash.

3. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

It does not. I just checked again and it says that there are no new updates to install.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

If you have uninstalled the embedded Flash Player from Internet Explorer, then of course there are no updates for it.

You need to download and reinstall Flash Player from the Microsoft site (not Adobe!).

5. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

How would I go about doing that? I can't find a link from Microsoft for that.

6. plodr

There have been at least 3 updates for flash on Win 8.1
    KB2886439 in Oct. 2013
    KB2898108 in Nov. 2013
    KB2957151 in May 2014

I suggest you uninstall the one from May, reboot, then see if updates offers it again and fixes the flash issue.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

I posted with what I have, and what could be a fix for you as an attachment. You need to run the cmd as admin.

Attached Files:

8. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Apparently my system never installed the May 2014 update, and it looks like it never showed up on Windows Update (before I uninstalled Flash Player and tried reinstalling it). It wasn't found through the Programs search in the Control Panel.

I did however find the Nov. 2013 Update on my system. However, Windows appears to disallow it from being Uninstalled because when I right-click it to Uninstall it did not bring up a context-menu like other updates did.

9. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

It didn't solve the problem unfortunately. I right-clicked the Command Prompt icon on the Windows tiled Start window and selected "Run as Administrator". Then I put in the commands and restarted my computer just to make sure it did what it needed to. I tested the flash player again by going to Youtube after the restart and it's still giving me the same message and will not go away still even though I click the "Allow" button.

10. plodr

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

The question I have, is that directory, did it have to same info, yes/no?

12. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Yes, all of the files shown in your screenshot appear in that directory on my computer.

13. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

I was hoping that a new Windows Update relating to Flash Player would show up soon at some point. If worse came to worse, I was going to attempt a Windows Reinstall.

The problem appears resolved now fortunately.

My computer here found new Windows Updates recently it needed, around 20 or so. After I updated, the computer restarted to finish the updates and upon startup brought up a Flash Player update window (the one you usually see when a Flash Player update is needed). I clicked the Download button and it started up IE and this time successfully loaded the Flash Player download page (instead of the Flash Player help page). I downloaded the newer flash player version and installed it. I then tested my IE again on Youtube and now it appears to be working correctly again. I got no Allow dialog box this time that wouldn't go away.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Windows Updates either caused my computer to notice that something was wrong in IE with the Flash Player and resolved it that way, or if one of the updates provided a new update for Flash Player on Windows systems.

Here are the updates that were involved:
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000988)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - October 2014 (KB890830)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2968296)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB2883032)
    Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2977292)
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2899475)
    Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000869)
    Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3001237)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 x64-based Systems (KB2979576)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2987107)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 x64-based Systems (KB2978041)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2989542)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2979573)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2972103)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2998174)
    Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000061)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2883031)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2995388)

I bet it was this update that did the trick for my system: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3001237)

Thanks for trying to help :). Hopefully Microsoft or someone else provides better fixes in the future for problems like this that is better and more immediate than having to wait for a newer update to the Flash Player for Windows. I noticed through googling this problem that it appears to occur with others as well, but often seemed to not result in a real immediate fix save for maybe just waiting for a new Windows Update involving Flash Player like this one. Usually when I came across someone else posting about this same problem, it often seemed to just stop having replies in the post at some point. So maybe they just got lucky with a new Flash Player update from Windows like I did.

14. plodr

Adobe updates flash every Patch Tuesday. So you were certain to get the latest version on 14 October.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds