PC freezing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nscat, Jan 25, 2006.

1. nscat

nscat Private E-2

I dont know if this is the proper place to post this but here goes. I have been trying to clean up my computer, updates, drivers, etc. I did a disk cleanup, disk frag, then went to clean the disk errors and the thing freezes on me.

I know the very basics of pc's so I could use some help if you would. Its an Amd Windows ME. i also have not been online because it was disconnected for a couple of months and I use dial-up?

Right now I am taking care of my dad, and using his posting handle to get help. He is not in a postion to help because of a bad fall but he said you guys helped him once with a virus and this was the best place to come.

Thx, nscats daughter. :)

2. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

hello,

well me has a lot of problems. i dont really care for the os as a whole..... that bieng said lets see if i can help..... when you say you where cleaning the disk errors you mean you were running scandisk. if this is the case i would suggest rebooting the machine press f8 and go into safe mode. try running the scandisk utility through safe mode.

if that doesnt work you can try making a boot disk with the scandisk utility on it reboot with it in the floppy and run it from the c prompt.

let us know if that helps it sounds like there is a curropt cluster or file or somthing that is hanging. possible a running program with a problem.
    you may also want to check your registry. if i remember right there is sometimes a problem there in windows me that could cause this.

3. nscat

nscat Private E-2

Thx for the info. I will give it a try. May be a week or so before I get back with results.

I dont like Windows ME either but its from dad and we cant afford to upgrade. Going to try to save it.

Again thx. :)

4. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

no problem. if you are runnig me it is basicly the same as windows 98 se but has a few registry changes. but the 98se is cheap. wont be an upgrade really but will run better. might be worth a look. if not just gotta keep doing with what you got.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds