Small warning about Zone Alarm manual update checks

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

I've updated Zone Alarm Pro, Plus, and Free on a total of 8 machines since 4.5.538 was released (the one with the new crowd-pleasing switch for manual/auto update-checking). All but one of those machines had 4.5.5xx with update set to manual (because I'd worked on them before), and when I tried the manual update checker on them, they all received a Web reply that "Your security is up to date!" It may be that the response was related to the very minor change in the version number (.530 to .538); the only change in the versions seemed to be the addition of the update-checker control.

Just a suggestion: Rely on this forum and MajorGeeks Software listings for version updates on your ZA program, because the manual updater may be unreliable for VERSION updates. There hasn't been a data update alone for a while, so I don't know whether it's reliable for non-version updates.

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Thanks for the heads up, Wiz :)

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

This happened to me the first time I tried the manual update check. I was advised on another forum that it will happen if too many people are checking for an update at the same time. I tried again a few minutes later and it worked fine.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers for heads up Wisewiz ;)

5. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Kind of straaaaange, dontcha think, for the server to send back a "Your protection is up to date" notice instead of a "Server busy; try again later" notice?

Sounds like a problem for Mighty Mou ..., er, a programmer to fix on the server.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds