Weird error - Operation aborted...

Discussion in 'Software' started by TeeCee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I have been getting this error on another site, and ONLY that site:
    View attachment 119269 (this is a zip file)

I open the page, log in, and when the page is almost 99% loaded, I get that error, and then the page is closed. Now, no problem with the other web pages, they stay open, and I can continue with no problem.. Only this one site, I am having difficulties, and I have contacted the site admin., but no answers yet... I think myself, it is a site problem, and not my system, but thought to run it by you anyway.... It only happens on that one, and if the browser itself closed, I'd be more concerned, but it is only that one page.... Any thoughts? :confused

Now, I am using windows XP IE7 and SP3.. All updates are up to date...
    I run my trend Micro every day, it is updated every day, and nothing has been found.. System is clean...

PS: I do my computer maintenance regularly.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The actual error on the site is
    Clear your cookies. It seems that there is only a problem at that site when you try and login. It could be a corrupt cookie for that site only. Since I'm not a member, I can't login to test if it is the site.

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I deleted all cookies, and temp. Int files and all history last night, again, and still got the error this morning.... Here it is again, maybe this will show better: View attachment 119279

I just got a note from the Mod. at that sight, that I may be having 'issues' with their advertisers... That may be interesting to get the answers to that, as they have been doing some upgrading to the site.. I shouldn't have to delete cookies every night tho..... This just started when they did some upgrades.... I am still checking into it tho....

If it were the browser, wouldn't the entire browser shut down? It doesn't, only that page, and that is what has me so :confused

PS: Javascript is enabled, and so are cookies.... Nothing has changed on my end, and I have been a member there for a long time....:confused

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

No, I haven't tried it on another browser... I have been contacted by the Moderator there, and he said the new ads may be the culprit, as he has had others PM him with the same error... Now, he has his programmers working on it, so I am just in a wait-and-see at this point...

If my entire browser crashed, I could see the point in downloading a new browser... However, that is not the case here.. They had done some site modifications, and it seems to have some glitches in it.... At least I am not the only one...

plodr, if I clear my cookies any more, I will have to bake some!! :-D

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

From what I was told, none of the people who are on a high-speed connection, are reporting errors... Are you on a dial up connection? I am, and so are the others that have reported the problem.. Nobody on hi-speed has had any issues... That may explain why you could log in with no errors.....

6. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Well, this topic can now end.. It wasn't my browser after all.. It was something going on at the website, as I got a note from the Mod. that they had fixed it...It had to do with their new advertisers they recently got, and all the dial up users were having the same error.... So, no need for a new browser after all....Also, it wasn't just me.... Or my browser....Sites do have technical difficulties at times...

7. plodr

TeeCee, please consider having another browser, either Firefox or Opera on your computer. All my computer have 2 or 3 browsers. That way, if I have a problem with a site (even my yahoo email at times) I can figure out if it is the site or my computer with the problem.
    It doesn't create any problem having several browsers on your computer.

8. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi plodr, sounds good, but doesn't FireFox hog resources? I am trying to find out which (FireFox or Opera) will use less of my memory... I have heard pros on cons on both.... Just trying to make an informed decision....;)

9. plodr

Either browser will only use memory if you browse with them. If you normally use IE then it would probably be rare for you to try the other browser. I think as soon as you close the browser it releases the memory. If you are concerned, increase your virtual memory/swap file. How large a hard drive? How much free space on the drive?
    My computers have either 256MB of memory or 1GB of memory (some I can't open up to add more). I use FF and haven't noticed a problem. Of course I haven't been on dialup since May 2004 so I can't experience what you do.

10. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi plodr, now that makes more sense;) I can work with numbers real well... Here is mine:
    Used : 15.3 GB
    Free: 213 GB
    Capacity: 228GB

I think as long as it isn't using all my free space, and won't bog down my hard drive, might as well take the "plunge" and download one... Dial-up isn't by choice, it is all that is available here..rolleyes

Thanks for the clarification!;)

11. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, Mission accomplished, and yes, I downloaded both, so now one more question... I know I need to keep IE for updates.. Now that I have two browsers, should I leave IE as default, so I can still use OE ? I did have FF as default, but my OE didn't function properly. so I put IE back to default... I don't really know if it matters, does it? Or does it? This is all new to me... ;)

12. plodr

I don't use OE so I can't answer that. Set IE up as default, if not using it as default creates problems. When you are ready to surf, you can click either icon to start.

13. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi plodr, I did just that, but now am wondering about 'firewall'... I don't see one on FF... may have to enable the firewall in Trend Micro..... Yeah, when I set FF to default, I couldn't use OE.... But, when I reversed it, I can... OK, when I am on FF, I should enable the Firewall in my Trend Micro I am assuming? Then again, that might create more problems:confused because since IE is default, it has it's own firewall... Would I be creating a conflict between the two? Or just enable the firewall when I am on FF? Oh, the possibilities!;)

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What firewall do you currently use? Should be good for any browser.
    Don't use FireFox, but don't believe it comes with its own firewall.
    I use Opera. When installing, asks if you want it set as default. Just click no and use when you want. It does use memory as you surf, but it releases it when you close the browser.

15. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi hrlow2, I have been using Windows Firewall in IE, but kept the one in Trend Micro unchecked.. No, I couldn't find a firewall either.. I do check no when I open it, as when I had it for default, I couldn't use OE... So, I reset IE as default, so I could get my mail... Now, I am concerned that when I do open FF, I am without a firewall.... I do have on on Trend Micro, but will have to go thru some major updates for that to operate, which isn't a problem, as long as I get a decent connection, and that isn't now...

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

A good third-party firewall will do you more good than the Windows version.
    If you install WinPatrol, you can go to the Startup listing and set the firewall to activate on startup.
    Works on all my machines.
    I personally use an older version of Comodo Personal Firewall because I like the interface.Will need some training at first.

17. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, I'll go and check it out... I assume I will find WinPatrol in the downloads section, If it isn't too large of a download, I'd like to get it installed... Even still, I do have FDM, so I can have it do the downloading... Then, I will disable windows firewall... Sounds like a plan! ;)
    OK, found it!
    Oh, boy, I can't find WinPatrol, only Comodo and a few others..... Hmmm.. Will have to do some more searching....

18. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

WinPatrol = 714KB download.
    Comodo,at least, disables Windows firewall when installing. Will need to reboot your machine to complete installation.

19. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Yes, it is downloading now, so I will be MIA for a few minutes... Thanks! ;)

20. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, I got the WinPatrol on board, the little Scottie is doing his thing... That was quite a small file, I was surprised.... ;)

21. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, I followed your suggestions, now NONE of the smilies here on MG are working for me.. Every one is totally still.. I have "Scripts Currently Enabled" and ABP is enabled, but MG site is allowed.. Now, is this what it is supposed to be doing? Kinda hard to figure out the smilies, if they are not moving....

Useful, yes, but would like to see some pages work correctly.

22. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, now that I have cleared the cookies and such, they are back to working.. This is weird... I'll keep my eye on it..... At least now I can see what smiley is doing what..... Yeah, this is frustrating, and I am SO SORRY for quad posting... Not trying to spam here, just didn't make it in time for an edit..... rolleyes

23. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I downloaded Opera 10 Beta, and it seems to be doing just fine, and every site so far has loaded without a hitch, and I don't have to do all that tweaking.... I do appreciate the advice, however, I don't care to spend too much time enabling this, or that... This browser actually seems much faster than FF even for a dial up connection.... Has all sorts of neat security features also.... MG has loaded just fine, and so did my other sites..... I think we can put an end to this one now...;)

24. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And also glad to hear that you have succeeded

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds