Anyone Seen The Encription Extortion Scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, as removing it is not my goal here. A computer at work has been haxed, and pretty much all it says is to go to a website and send $. Like that is going to happen... :major

Scorched earth approach on that one. Luckily it was not a major box in our shop. I can recommend procedures to my boss, but he is the boss. Just posting this for general information. Google tells me this computer's data is toast without the encription ransom, which we will not be paying.

I have never seen this, it is basically a brick now. Be careful, be safe out there. Going to try again to get redundant file backups for customer files, wont hold my breathe while they think about adopting it.

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Here's a Trendmicro blog on some of the many crypto ransomware variants.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

our network was hit last week.

we cleaned it before it activated the payload however.

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, they're around a bit, now. Hence the necessity to have regular critical data backup, whatever that may be.;).

5. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Had a customer who paid the $200 ransom straight away and so then they asked for more $$$ without sending the decryption key :boxing
    When they eventually called me I told them all about the format command rolleyes
    It was obvious they were never getting their data back and the crooks were bleeding them for as much cash as possible :crap

Lesson here is $30/year isn't too much for your business to pay to keep their business anti virus software up to date ;) :major

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I can advise all day long. The boss will do as he does. Never underestimate the motivation of some to spend a dollar to save a penny. ;)

7. joffa

roflmao Yep the peeps I was dealing with decided to save $30 on the AV because they had never had a virus so obviously didn't need it roflmao
    I pointed out maybe it was because of having the previously up to date AV was why they hadn't had a virus rolleyes LOL

8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Word.

Yep. I get that argument all the time from friends. My response is, "How do you even know whether or not you have a virus or malware on your computer without anything scanning for them? Not all malware advertises itself."

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

From my brief research, you get this one from email attatchments, and 'fake' websites. Not sure if AV would have helped. People love to clicky on stuff they should not..

10. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I've had two close calls in the past. One was probably fake fbi download. Use a startup program and saw a name in app data that looked like gibberish, same gibberish found in the registery. Deleted both and no more problem. Another was a page load on any boot kinda the same thing, I didn't think about the app data trick and instead just rebooted with no net and did a factory re-install. Some folks aren't so lucky to have that easy choice. It's a shame for some people to try to grab someone else's possession anyhow.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Luckily this computer was just a RIP computer. But, it was on the network...

12. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

MG file list just yesterday had cryptoprevent listed. I downloaded and installed. It offers 3 different levels of protection from free basic to paid with updates and active scanning. I f I had a comp that someone could put on the net and be careless with and also had important data or access to others with important data I would use the deepest protection. Any responsible party should.

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Like I said, I can recommend until my face is blue. I tell them the bit torrent is not a good thing, they put it on every computer...

If I was just J.P. Morgan... :-D

14. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

15. joffa

The AV they were using was a security suite which also checks emails for exe attachments and known suspicious URLs in links ;)
    They were using it for 3 years with no trouble but the accountant said why not save the $30 as you probably don't need it and the owner agreed rolleyes

Yep this was me after the call roflmao

16. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Depends on the level of 'Interrogation' as set by the decent A.V. progs. You can have them interrogate every, *.zip file, e-mail and Attachment, etc., if you wish, usually. Just takes way more time.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

System restore and it is back up and running. Got to be careful what you click on.

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep, got that CryptoWall 2.0 last friday. We restored in about 45 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

How funny. It was last Thursday or us. Same thing, Cryptowall.

Then we had a client call us, infected as well the same day.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

We now block TOR, hoping to prevent the payload from ever connecting. Btw, we use Palo Alto. What do you use?

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have no idea; I am just a developer on the enterprise team. Infrastructure takes care of that stuff, and I never think to ask things like that.

22. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Known by several names although "CryptoLocker" is probably the most famous (infamous?) ones. It's also known by the generic term of "Ransomware", which includes any virus that locks up the hard drive's files into an encrypted folder and then won't let you access them without paying a ransom. The thing is, some of these viruses actually encrypt your data but some are lazy and don't. You might get lucky and still be able to recover some files, but the overall way of thinking is not to negotiate with terrorists (i.e. whatever you do, do not pay the ransom).

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not been hit with this yet but reading up on it to future proof or protect against now. Home PCs are pretty protected, work are more so locked down (not impossible to infect) but caution is needed with our firewalls, my area I have some control over is secure as we can get it, nothings perfect though.

glad all is back and normal Fred.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Keeping up to date is the big one. RIG is a good way to catch this, and all you have to do is be vulnerable and visit an infected site.

Jquery's site was infected a month ago with RIG. I was lucky and not vulnerable though (updates ftw!).

25. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

26. Petedz

Petedz Private E-2

I seem to have uncovered a different extortion scheme. it included the following text file in all of my folders along with and html file and an internet shortcut to install TOR:

What happened to your files ?
    All of your files were protected by a strong encryption with RSA-2048 using CryptoWall 2.0.
    More information about the encryption keys using RSA-2048 can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)

What does this mean ?
    This means that the structure and data within your files have been irrevocably changed, you will not be able to work with them, read them or see them,
    it is the same thing as losing them forever, but with our help, you can restore them.

How did this happen ?
    Especially for you, on our server was generated the secret key pair RSA-2048 - public and private.
    All your files were encrypted with the public key, which has been transferred to your computer via the Internet.
    Decrypting of your files is only possible with the help of the private key and decrypt program, which is on our secret server.

What do I do ?
    Alas, if you do not take the necessary measures for the specified time then the conditions for obtaining the private key will be changed.
    If you really value your data, then we suggest you do not waste valuable time searching for other solutions because they do not exist.

For more specific instructions, please visit your personal home page, there are a few different addresses pointing to your page below:
    1.https://paytordmbdekmizq.torpayusd.com/1UNjiQt
    2.https://paytordmbdekmizq.torpayeur.com/1UNjiQt
    3.https://paytordmbdekmizq.torpaycnf.com/1UNjiQt
    4.https://paytordmbdekmizq.torpaycash.com/1UNjiQt

If for some reasons the addresses are not available, follow these steps:
    1.Download and install tor-browser: http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
    2.After a successful installation, run the browser and wait for initialization.
    3.Type in the address bar: paytordmbdekmizq.onion/1UNjiQt
    4.Follow the instructions on the site.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    Your personal page: https://paytordmbdekmizq.torpayusd.com/1UNjiQt
    Your personal page (using TOR): paytordmbdekmizq.onion/1UNjiQt
    Your personal identification number (if you open the site (or TOR 's) directly): 1UNjiQt

I have not done anything to this other than to open the text file. I looked through the other forums including the google forum and the DrWeb. I am concerned that this is something different and worried that this will also corrupt other computers on my home network. I am not sure what caused this either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds