Reduce size of video for email

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bear9090, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bear9090

Bear9090 Private First Class

I’m looking for a friendly user program that will compress & convert video’s (around 150 MB) so I can send it through my E-mail without my server saying the file is too large to send. I would like to purchase the software that comes with instructions. This is all new to me. :confused Thanks

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just looked at the flip site and the videos use Mpeg-4 compression. You won't be able to get the file size down much with any compression software because mpeg-4 is already tightly compressed. Even a good compression program like WinRar will only take you down to something like 140mb. Your choices really are to split the files using WinRar or similar software and mail the pieces or to use a service for big files as Mark Trent suggested.

The first tutorial Mark gave is very informative and easy to follow. I would only say that in the Compression Method drop down box I would choose "Store" (no compression) this will be much faster for splitting the files and because Mpeg-4 files are already so compressed you won't see any difference in the total number of pieces you end up with and will save a great deal of time. If you check the Create SFX box when creating the archive it will produce a self-extracting archive so the email recipient can put the pieces back together without installing WinRar on their computer. If you are going to regularly send videos to a friend it is probably easier for them also to install WinRar.

3. sach2

I mixed two threads together--you didn't say your videos were flip camera videos. Sorry. Chances are that your videos are highly compressed as well and the above is still valid.

4. Bear9090

Sorry about that. This is all new to me. I’m using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-fx50 camera. Settings are Video out-NTSC, TV Aspect 16:9,(or should I use 4:3, will that reduce the size.), & Aspect conv. 4:3 or 3:2.

5. Bear9090

OK will do . Thanks for your help. :)

6. sach2

Just so you know, you do not have to pay for WinRar. After 30 or so days it will ask for a donation when you start it but just close that window and everything works the same. :)

Any questions about splitting the video let us know. I tried it on a 99mb file and it took about a minute to break it into 10 pieces with a self-extracting .exe to put it back together. Of course it would be easier to just mail a video but after the first time using winrar it should be fairly simple to do.

7. Bear9090

I'll try WinRar & try to work things out. Thanks for the tip about after 30 days.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds