What adapter should be used to move laptop to tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mortius, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Mortius

Mortius Private E-2

i know this may be infuriating, as novices usually are, but i am one. I bought a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter to move my laptop hard drive into my tower, but when i got it home and removed the laptop hard drive the adapter didnt fit. As i said i am not used to anything 'computer' and got told this would do the job, i have a fijitsu seimens laptop (i dont know if that helps) and i wasnt made aware of any other adapters avaliable, are there others? or is my hard drive weird for not fitting. Sorry, i know this post will incite a few comments on how dumb i am etc. But im prepared, and please feel free to take your shots, i know i would. Thanks for your help

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

you are not dumb, your question is valid. First you need to know what type of HD you have, then you can go on line or to a local computer store and find the appropriate adapter. I think you skipped a step by buying the adapter before you knew what type of HD you have.

3. Mortius

Mortius Private E-2

thankyou very much, as long as i know there are other adapters avaliable.

PS. Thanks for not tearing in about me, lol. I've been a major geek browser for months (sporadically) and i finally created an account today. The quick response was also much appreciated. Its great for laymaners to have somewhere like this to go to for help.

Thanks again

Mortius

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Mort,

Your Laptop drive probably has an adaptor already on it to fit it to the laptop. If so, it is removable. Take a closer look. Some just push on and some also have two screws at the ends.

Good Luck, Jim

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Welcome to MGs
    The only dumb people on here are the ones who don't ask. [​IMG]

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I had the same problem with a micron notebook. Your laptop hd might have a "cage" around it. Mine had some sort of metal thing around the entire drive and the "connector" was part of that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds