Setting up new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by XLNTA, Mar 13, 2010.

1. XLNTA

XLNTA Private E-2

I have recently purchased a new computer & would like suggestions for setting it up. I have read thru some of the FAQ threads, so I'm sorry if some of my issues are redundant.

System:
    Gateway DX4300-11
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 805 Quad-core
    8GB DDR2 ram
    1 TB HDD

Preloaded Apps:
    Any specifics on what to delete & what to keep? I know Maj Attitude says delete anything not used, but on a new machine I don't want to delete something that might be needed or usefull. Or -- Should I treat it like a build your own machine & delete everything back to OS? See attached screen shot of installed programs.

HDD Partitions:
    Does hard drive partitioning have to be done when OS is installed, or could I do it now? Would i get better performance with partitions? I don't foresee filling up 1TB of space any time soon - so what would be some good uses for that much space?

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Unfortunately, you haven't given us any indication of what you might find useful, so we can't know what you should remove.

Personally speaking, though, I prefer to get my hands on an OS install disc, installers for all the drivers, and rebuild the system from scratch. Then I can install programs as I need them, and don't have to deal with cleaning up the manufacturer's configuration. But that's me.

When I can't do that, I usually end up removing the manufacturer's software, as most times, it does something Windows is already capable of, only in a more user-friendly way. I'm comfortable enough with Windows to go without, but again, that's just me.

You may want to visit BlackViper.com, and read their article on Windows 7 Service Configurations, as this will guide you through disabling some background programs you may not need.

Do remember though, that you ~should~ have a recovery partition so that you can always reload the operating system (preloaded apps and all) just like you have it now.

Partitioning doesn't HAVE to be done at OS installation, but it does give you slightly more control over how you can partition.

On a single drive, I don't think you will get much of a performance boost from partitioning, but I always advocate partitioning to isolate data from the operating system. I give the system partition ample space for the OS and programs. (75GB should be plenty, even for modern OS's), and set the rest up for my data. In the properties of your documents folders, you can set their location to be on another partition, so it makes for an easy way for users to place their data safely away from the OS and virus/corruption issues.

If you had more than one drive, you might get a performance boost from moving the page file from the system drive to another, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

My only observation on your programs, hard to read, is I get rid of ALL toolbars, you have Google. Annoying, useless promotionals that only serve to take up screen space.
    That said, I know some people do like them, so it really is personal choice! :wave:wave
    And, there was a time when disk management was quite critical as to amount used, there's a few threads on here right now where people are having problems due to >80% full. But with a T of space, I don't think you'll be running into issues. However, the more programs you have, the longer the scans take.
    Congrats on new 'puter! :)

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Don't forget, more programs = more RAM/CPU usage at all times.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Unfortunately your thumbnail is too small for my senior eyes to see.
    I bought an eMachine, owned by Acer, the same company who also owns Gateway so I suspect you might have some of the same useless programs I had.

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and got rid of: Norton Internet Security, Google Desktop, Google Toolbar for IE, eBay, eMachines Games, Adobe Air, Adobe.com and Adobe Reader 9.

Before you remove Adobe Reader 9, download and install something smaller like Foxit to be sure you can open pdf files. Lots of times, the manuals are on the computer in pdf and you have to be able to read and print out what info you need. If Foxit is working, then it is safe to remove Adobe Reader.

If you prefer Norton, by all means keep it - but after 90 days, you must purchase a subscription. I went with something free, AntiVir and Malwarebytes. I ran Revo to uninstall Norton but just to be extra careful, I also ran the Norton cleanup tool. If anything of Norton remains, it can prevent other security programs from installing.

As far as games, the ones included from eMachines, not the ordinary windows games, were trials and not things I would buy. If something interests you, don't remove that game.

6. XLNTA

XLNTA Private E-2

Thanks to all for your input!

1st- Sorry for the small thumbprint. I see (or rather don't see) what you mean. That was my first stab at attaching a jpeg. Kept reducing it to get below the 97 kb limit. I'll have to go back & review screen captures & attachments. Any pointers?

Plodr: You are right - they are about the same. I've removed some already, will dump more. Also will be using Avast AV, and will try Foxit. Thanks for the tip.

Mada: I have used BlackViper before & will revisit it. Is using a partition as a backup only slightly better than not backing up? I realize that if the drive crashes, all is gone.

After I get all this set up & happy, Is it the general consensus to use a product like Acronis(?)? Can someone explain -- if I should have to reload OS at some point, would I use that "backup" instead of the manufacturer's recovery method?

Thanks again.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Exactly right. Partitioning (at least on a single drive) is NOT a replacement for regular backups.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use Acronis on my eMachine. That way, if it crashes, I do not have to go all the way back in time to the way it was when new and start installing Revo and uninstalling all the "added features" I do not want. I simply restore the computer using the image I created. I last imaged Feb. 22nd so that is way better to restore to than months earlier. I also do not have to do all those windows patches and security updates again.

I usually create my images on an external hard drive. But I also do at least one image on DVDs. That way, if the external dies, I have an image that I can use. If the DVDs become unreadable, I have an image on the external drive I can use. I tend not to store my images on a partition on the internal hard drive. That will work too BUT be sure you have at least one image located off the computer. If the internal hard drive dies, you would have no images.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds