Looking for Driver updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by AreeSoothsayer, Oct 10, 2014.

1. AreeSoothsayer

AreeSoothsayer Private E-2

Been having occasional problems with sound stuttering. Updating the drivers for the sound have fixed that but not the underlying problem. I used LatencyMon to find I was having some serious issues with system latency. When checking my drivers in the system I find them dating back to 2006. I went to the manufacturer site and they gave me a catalyst graphics installer of all things for my chipset. I run Nvidia. Can you guys assist me in finding drivers to fix this?

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 1.0

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Greetings and welcome to Major Geeks! Hopefully someone will be able to help you on this, but, I'll take a crack at it.

First question, do you use the analog ports on the back, or the optical.

Next, what is your operating system? XP, vista, 7, 8, 8,1, 10? Linux flavor?

Also, during the audio stutter bring up the task manager, processes, and sort by cpu, take a screen shot and post here.

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

4. AreeSoothsayer

I used Iobit Driver booster, it found a sound driver that was newer, after I thought I found the newest. The LatencyMon showed a small decrease in latency but still showing on the edge of red. I had it scan and then copied the cpu part of it for you.

Windows 7, Ultimate.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system seems to have difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:40 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: HOME
    OS version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600 (x64)
    Hardware: GA-970A-UD3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor
    Logical processors: 6
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16381 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3300.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 4112.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1694.834262
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.747703

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1686.145987
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.835465

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 1397.777273
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.072634
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.179505

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 94588
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 3
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1701.669091
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: tcpip.sys - TCP/IP Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.185593
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.382477

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 236647
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 11
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: firefox.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 6506
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 5056
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 490515.175152
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 14.945655
    Number of processes hit: 10

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.775188
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 47.663030
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.077731
    CPU 0 ISR count: 40150
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1701.669091
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0.233230
    CPU 0 DPC count: 187331
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.316933
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 47.464242
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000368
    CPU 1 ISR count: 42
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 115.127576
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.038845
    CPU 1 DPC count: 2030
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.391112
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 52.740909
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002084
    CPU 2 ISR count: 267
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 111.780909
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.031013
    CPU 2 DPC count: 2275
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.233359
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 54.484545
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002138
    CPU 3 ISR count: 276
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1376.988182
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.026632
    CPU 3 DPC count: 3649
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.262520
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 1397.777273
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.338073
    CPU 4 ISR count: 51236
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1448.716061
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.568284
    CPU 4 DPC count: 35845
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.428891
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 69.253333
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.020821
    CPU 5 ISR count: 2620
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1427.506970
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.042109
    CPU 5 DPC count: 5529

5. AreeSoothsayer

Looked around other places while waiting for a reply here. It seems the HPET in the Bios causes audio drivers some issues. I turned it off and the latency dropped. Gonna see if it stays that way long term.

6. AreeSoothsayer

Ran LatencyMon all night with a video running on repeat while sleeping. Still some latency but nothing as bad as it was. So I decided to uninstall video drivers entirely. Used a program to find installations. I found FIVE different Nvidia installs. Removed them one by one, cleaned the registry.

Not only did my Latency drop but my windows loading time was cut down to 1/3 of the time it was.

7. AreeSoothsayer

And now some hour pass and the latency is back up, with me running dry on ideas.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds