wifi antenna install, best way to do it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by izzyecho, Oct 8, 2007.

1. izzyecho

izzyecho Private E-2

Hi all, i want to set up an antenna to receive (often distant) wifi signals in my area, is it best to go with a stronger dbi antenna or a lower dbi with booster/amplifier, is an omnidirectional better than a directional? what is the best set up to keep noise to a minimum? and best way to avoid constant dropouts?
    i have tried to research all this on the web and everyone seems to have a different opinion ! very confusing,
    i am new to this and soon get lost in the technical stuff so please reply in simple speak ! many thanks

2. JPSchwartz

JPSchwartz Private E-2

One of the reasons this is so confusing is that what works best will depend a lot on the signals in your area. Either method works for boosting signal strength, the big difference is that an omin with an amplifier will not have to be aimed, and will boost interference as well as good signals. The directional will require aiming, but will only boost signals in a specific direction, and therefore do a better job of ignoring interference from other directions. Additionally, you will find that a larger signal boost from an amplifier just requires more power, a larger signal boost from a directional antenna will also make the beam smaller and smaller. The shortest answer is try one and see.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds