Fable startup crash "Fable - Warning"

Discussion in 'Software' started by pauvre, Jun 7, 2008.

1. pauvre

pauvre Private E-2

Hi there. I have been playing Fable for a while now with no problems. But, my system set up has been one hard drive for games and my C: drive is the windows drive. My games drive is going bad, and the system quit finding it.

So, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it on my C: drive. When I try to start the game, after the splash screen I get "Fable - Warning: We are sorry, but we have detected that the game did not exit correctly. We recommend starting the game in safe mode. Safe mode may disable some advanced features of the game, but may allow you to play the game."

Safe mode doesn't work, continue anyway doesn't work. The screen flashes like it is trying to load then goes to desktop.

I have uninstalled/resinstalled twice now with the same results. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Was the game fully uninstalled? Are there any leftovers anywhere in the registry or deep in the file system, that might cause this problem? Does it matter if you start a new game or load an old save?

3. pauvre

pauvre Private E-2

I do not know for sure if it was fully uninstalled. I ran a registry checker to try to clean out old stuff...

I have a save game very close to the end that I want to use - I have not finished the game yet.

4. pauvre

pauvre Private E-2

Sorry, I just understood your last question. I do not get far enough in the program. All I see is the splash screen - it does not really load the program at all.

5. Mimsy

Okay, back to basics then :)

System specs? Which OS? Game fully patched? Latest graphics driver? If not, update. If you do, roll back to previous version.

6. pauvre

pauvre Private E-2

Mimsy, thanks for the help. Well, everything was working fine until the hard drive went down, so I would assume the graphics and sound drivers are fine. I had been playing it for a long time without any problems. Seems like it is some kind of registry problem or something.

XP SP3, AMD Athlon XP 2800, Radeon x1950 pro, 2GB ram, latest drivers.
    Game update? I didn't think there was one...?

7. Mimsy

Game patch then. I don't have Fable installed right now, so I don't remember, but PC games are notorious for their patches.

Did the problems begin after you installed SP3? If so, you could roll back to a restore point from before SP3 and see if the problems go away when you do, just for verification. Though if the game worked fine when installed on another hard drive, it is possible that it is trying to find a file on that drive, fails, and that is what's causing the crash.

Did you use the game uninstaller? CCleaner can clean out the remains from the registry for you, and is overall a good program to have installed. Uninstall the game again, run CCleaner, then do a completely fresh reinstall, and see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds