Hello everyone, I am new here.

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by zerhacke, Jul 15, 2008.

1. zerhacke

zerhacke Private E-2

Hello everyone, I am new here. I've been a tech head for 24 years now. I received my first computer when I was 7 years old after bugging my parents for one. I bugged them because I got my hands on a PDP11 at the local college through the TAG program I was part of as a kid. Once I started with that PDP11, I could not stop.

I can proudly say that I've tried every major Linux distro and most minor ones too. I never can seem to find the right one. None of the BSD flavors impress me much either. I like them, sure, but they always seem to have one flaw that just drives me batty.

On HAM radio, I am KD8GWM. I have a tech level license and am looking to upgrade to General when the HAMFest happens in my town in August.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm posting this post on a Windows XP Pro 2600 build PC while waiting on the latest ISO to download and burn. I used to be on the Dev Team for Ubuntu but when they went to Hardy Heron I just tossed that whole experience out the window. Hardy's decision to use "smart" Xorg configuration left me with a cold feeling. On my hardware, it constantly wants to use the nv driver, and my card is so old that nv doesn't properly configure (I'm stuck in 800x600 and want to use 1024x768). Having been on Linux since the days of Yggdrasil I think I know how to set it up to work properly by manually configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf but to no avail. Vesa just doesn't work.

Anyways, anyone looking at the user agent on my account will likely see it change dramatically and rapidly.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That there is some purty sounding smart stuff. LOL

Welcome to MG. :wave

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard zerhacke, there's a few *nixers here that would enjoy your company.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to MGs :)

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome aboard..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds