New Comp off Craigslist, is it good? HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark_anth, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

I just bout a new?ish? HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop. It has an 1gig Ati Radeon x1650 gfx card that was put in. (MIGHT be 512m but most likely 1 gig) Running windows vista... 1.8 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9150e quad-core 3gigs of ram (should have had 4 but doesnt)
    I am getting a monitor tomorrow and I have a
    COUPLE QUESTIONS..
    1) is this a good set up for the money I paid? ($200 and my 360)
    2) Can I run games well?
    3) if so, max settings? (Black ops, Bioshock, CRYSIS?!?! lol )
    4)Can I upgrade to Windows 7?
    5) If so, what will I have to do other than install? (drivers, downloads, etc)

thanks so much if you reply!

I hope to become a regular here once I get my pc going! :cool

2. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

Wtf.... Come on... BUMP

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I think you will have to be realistic here, there is no chance that computer will be able to play any new game on the market now with high settings, not even close.

That is a good price for the system but for $200 did you really expect a Crysis eating machine?

Yeah you should be able to upgrade to Windows 7, but i would look at upgrading other components first as the OS is a pricey pieace of kit which the money from that could be spent on a better graphics card for example.

Like with any installation of an operating system you will have to remove and re-install drivers.

4. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

5. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

Actually, I can run Bioshock 2 on full settings with no lag? Its better than you think.. I have a total of 2gig video ram. And my card if overclocked to 681. Anyway, how can I overclock the cpu? clockgen doesnt really work.

6. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

No you don't.

You cannot overclock the cpu on OEM machines.

8. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

Yes I do, It says I'm using two cause I have an nvidia card too. :p

[​IMG]
    and thanks for the advice. I thought you could with software though? like amd overdrive, etc. none work for me though it seems.

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Sorry, but what does that picture supposed to show?

10. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

haha I got bored, I screen caped this to show my comp can run Crysis. Maybe not amazing, but you should give it a lil more cred XD I'm installing the demo now.

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Even if you dropped everything down and even used 800X600 resolution and turned everything off you will still struggle to make a minimum playable framerate in Crysis,minimum playable framerate is usually considered to be 30FPS.

Crysis at 12X10 the lowest resolution Toms hardware do with the settings on high your card averages 3FPS,that mean the minimum will probably be 1FPS or lower.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-2008-q3/Crysis-v1.21,753.html

Here

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6182806/index.html?type=tech&page=5

@800X600 it can average 30fps on medium settings but this doesn't means it will run at 30FPS,half of the time the framerate will be as low as 10-15 FPS which is unplayable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  12. Dark_anth

Dark_anth Private E-2

Actually, I was able to run it on MEDIUM at about 16 fmb. With a lot of specs turned up. Its sooo playable at low. Like really good fps.

13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

That's great I'm glad your happy with your purchase:)

14. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

I know I'm kinda new here myself but if you post a thread asking for help, I wouldn't deem it wise to show stubornness towards those who offer to help you.

You asked if the computer would run Crisis, obviously by your screen capture from SystemRequirementsLab your computer BARELY meets the minimum requirements and thus would not be recommended to run the program. Can you run Crisis, sure. Though without some major hardware upgardes (RAM to 4GB & Video Card to a PCI-Express 1GB card) you'll be very limited on what games you'll be able to run on that machine.

This particular machine is from 2008-2009. Don't expect it to run too many of the newer games.

also, You got ripped off in my opnion. I don't know what model of the 360 you had but the person you sold it to could easily turn around and resell that as well. So regardless you basicly paid about $350-$400 for a machine that is probably nearing the 3 year old mark. You could have put that money towards a brand new machine.

15. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

Yes if you upgrade, Just remember to do a backup first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds