No Ethernet Found On Dell Dimension 5150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marathon222, Nov 10, 2007.

1. marathon222

marathon222 Private E-2

Hi

I am having a problem connecting to the internet using my ethernet connection. I can connect through usb. I have been onto Dell website and downloaded drivers but my ethernet still does not appear on device manager. My system is not recognising this. I am out of ideas please help as I am close to giving up !!!!!!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Check the BIOS. It may have been disabled there. Most Dell PC's use F2 to enter the BIOS right when you power up....

3. marathon222

marathon222 Private E-2

tried that and was enabled so have you any more ideas.

4. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

Your motherboard is probly dieing. Sadly dell mobos die more than any outher mobo i have ever seen. My buddy does repair work for dell so im going to run this by him and see what he says but he replaces mobos in 9 out of 10 of the service calls he goes on.

I had this problem on a old ASRock mobo. Overclocking it seems to have damaged the chipset and fryed the lan. I also noticed that outher stuff controled by the chipset would malfunction or was not preforming like it should. Have you seen any preformance losses in things controled by your chipset?

To be honest with you i wouldent worrie about it. If you have a warrenty and have in home replacement put in a service call. If not go to walmart and pick up a pci network card. But i'll ask my buddy about this and see what he says and post back.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Sadly, this is probably true. The Dell 1100 series and 5100 series are almost identical, and the most problematic and short lived laptops I have ever had the misfortune of working on. They were quite cheap when new, and there's a reason for that.... sorry. :cry
    On a somewhat bright note... I have seen Dell laptops not recognize the built-in ethernet and modem when the battery wasn't fully charged. I know, it doesn't make sense, but I've seen it happen more than once. Mainly on the older Latitude c600's and c610's... maybe (hopefully) this is the case in your scenario. On these c600's, if you removed the battery, and ran only off the AC adapter, it wouldn't see the ethernet or the modem either. I don't know if this is true for all c600's and c610's, but I personally saw it happen on 4 of 'em that belonged to a real estate office..... If the battery was installed and fully charged AND the AC was plugged in, everything was OK. If you ran on the battery only and it started at 100%, everything was OK. Maybe something in the BIOS power settings was out of whack... who knows?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds