Freemake video converter

Discussion in 'Software' started by FED UP, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok I am trying to burn a DVD playable on an actual DVD player. Probem is the files that I want to burn, while they play just fine in VLC player, are not properly converting/burning to my DVD. There are VIDEO_TS.BUP , VIDEO_TS, VTS files and variations of all those with different numbers in the names. Should I first convert it to another filetype and then convert to and burn the DVD ?

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Annnd when I convert an MKV to DVD, when I play the DVD all I get is a flashing still image. Maybe I should convert to AVI first ? How will that affect the quality of the finished product ? Is there another FREE converter that will allow me to accomplish this ?

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try DVD Flick. It's always worked for me.

4. mimon

mimon Private E-2

dvdflick works fine,to burn MP4,MKV manually,you'll have to convert them DVD compliant format MPEG-2,dvdflick can do this automatically or you can use pazeras http://www.pazera-software.com/ converters (mp4,mkv to avi)selecting the mpg tab,scroll to NTSC-DVD,choose the 2-pass encoding for the best quality,then use a good program like Imgburn to burn the ts-video file to disc at a write speed of 4 or 6,4 being preferable to minimize sector errors.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Why would the OP want to convert them using another program since DVD Flick already does this quite well?:confused

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok guys thanks. Ill give DVD flick a shot .

7. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

UGH. Using DVD flick, when I add a title to convert, i get an error that tells me (the video)"has no usable video track" . Really ? It plays just fine with all my media players. The DVD flick help file/page leaves quite a bit to be desired, and covers no errors at all.
    I'll be digging some more for answers.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi fedup

I use DVDflick and it works in general ok for me but at times I do use a longer way to achieve this in using AVI2DVD and it produces a ISO from your video file and then using something like IMGBURN to burn the ISO to DVD or CD and it works OK.

9. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Freemake Video Converter doesn't seem to have any problem with avi's. It seems at this time that it is only having trouble with MKV. DVD flick wont even TRY to convert the mkv's.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do try AVI2DVD and despite its name it works with MKV too. It will on a Win7 PC change Aero to basic while it converts but once finished with the app it goes back to normal.

11. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, I'll try that, im having problems with DVD Flick, and their help page is only helpful if there are no problems.

12. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

freemake is the only app I can find that will even attempt to convert .mkv files. Other apps give me errors such as "there is no usable video track" and/or wont begin the conversion process. Freemake will attempt to convert the mkv files, and will complete the conversion, but no matter what filetype I try to convert it to, I get proper audio result, but the video blinks on and off at a rapid rate, and it stays on one frame. For example, if I were to watch the mis-converted video, I will get the full correct audio for the video, but i only get the first frame and it blinks on and off rapidly. i have tried to convert to another filetype like AVI, so that I could then convert to DVD, but even the AVI does the blinking thing . AVI to DVD will not allow a conversion at all. DVD flick tries to get it done but will hang after a couple of hours and progress stops. Im stuck .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
    Happy New Year !

:(

13. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. alphabetagaga

alphabetagaga Private E-2

a question to those using 'freemake'

i want to convert a dvd to a format that will give me good all round performance playable on

a hd ready (not full hd) tv (using a ps3)
    a ipad2
    laptop (using vlc media player)

i'm not too format savvy and was thinking of selecting 'mp4' or 'apple' as the output file. within each option there are presets. what option/preset should i go for based on the above 3 devices?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds