Is Arctic Silver Paste Always Best?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Salamander46, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

hi, I have just bought an Abit AB9 motherboard, a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU and I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. What I would like some advice on is.. is it better to use Arctic Silver paste or is the paste on the heatsink Cooler as good?? I want to build the system myself but if it will be better using a different paste then I think I wouldn't feel too confident and might ask my son in law to do it for me.. Coward, I know!! The trouble with that is that he tends to take over!!! Doesn't think a 60 year old woman is quick enough for him!!! ~What do you think about the Arctic Silver?? I intend to overclock the system to make it the equivulent to the Core 2 Duo Extreme, which I am told is quite easy to do. Don't know if this will make any difference to which paste to use.

Any ideas on the subject would be really welcome.
    :)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You will want AS paste if you are overclocking.

:)

Its not hard to put on, but make sure you follow the instructions.

If you want to be safer, at the sacrifice of a menial temperature change, look into Artic Silver Ceramique. It doesn't conduct electricity, so its a bit safer to use.

3. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

I had an idea that you was going to say that Arctic Silver would be best especially as I want to overclock... seems I will have to read up on the instructions and maybe have a go myself.. I like a challenge, so maybe I will have a go and call my son in law round if I get into trouble... lol

4. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

Artic Silver is by most standards the most highly recommended paste. Care must be taken not to over do it as it does contain metal and if it drips down on the processor it could possibly short it out. There is also Artic Ceramique which does not contain metal but is still highly regarded. The pads on most Heatsinks is usually efficent if you are not going to overclock and air flow through the case is good. These however are very adhesive and difficult to remove after a period of time and if not removed properly may also cause damage. Here are a couple links for proper application of both of the artic types.

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

http://www.articsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

On my recent build I used the pad and seldom reach over 40C core temp even after gaming. I do not overclock though. My buddy did a build with same processor and used the pad also and does overclock and his temps are not much higher. Both are using the OEM heatsink and fan that came with the processor. I have not read any reviews for thermal paste. I feel the pastes are probably better as they would seem to fill the air gaps better and least likely to cause damage if used properly and least likely to cause damage if you have to remove.

5. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Thanks for the links to those sites. Yes they were helpful, but am still not convinced I have the confidence to try it... Have got a few days before I start to build so will have a strong brandy and have a think about it!!! lol

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make your son do it.

;)

7. eyeblazin

You can practice before you actually try. Use an old credit card to smooth paste out it works very well. But do not practice on new processor. Find something small, square and relatively smooth to practice on. Be sure not to have alot of excess at the edges.

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I have used both AS5 & AS Ceramique for several yr's

I prefer AS Ceramique as the application lasts longer, much shorter burn in, non conductive/safer, cleans easy.

AS5 is a great product but it requires reapplication sooner than Ceramique, I suggest every 6 months, it's conductive ~ too much kill's many of CPU & GPU, it's clean up is harder then that of Ceramique, burn in much longer.

I've tested both product's on several PC's both stock & OCed, in the end I cant tell any difference in the temps
    Everyone says AS5 can make a couple of degrees cooler, I don't see it! IMO I'd say the difference in any given temps can be attributed to how well the product was applied

One other note reguarding application, Ceramique seems to have more consistant temps with varing ways of application or amount of the product used, this along with non conductive is a big plus for someone with little experiance installing a CPU

I'd also suggest Lapping your HS :cool
    Temp control along with a good stable PSU is Key to successful OCing:major

9. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Thanks but can you explain what Lapping your HS means.. As for a stable Power Supply Unit, I have bought a Hiper 580 Watt which I am told is very stable.. hopefully!!! :eek:

10. eyeblazin

I usually use crocus cloth(which is an xtra fine type of sandpaper for metal) and place it on a good flat surface. Take the heatsink and polish the flat surface that contacts the processor. Be careful not to bend the fins on heatsink and it is not necessary to exert a lot of pressure. Polish til the entire surface is shiny. Should not take a wholoe lot of polishing. You can get crocus at a hardware or auto parts store.

Good Luck with your build

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Major Attitude once posted an article comparing the cooling performance of various thermal pastes. None did much better than the rest. Heck, they tried with toothpaste, and that did the job only slightly worse than AS. I'd have to agree with your opinion here.

See this link

12. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Here's a Guide for lapping
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/heatsinklappingguide.php

In the guide they go to 2000 grit, IMO 1200 maybe 1500 grit is usually sufficant to get a mirror finish

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

If you do go this way, after the crocus pad is to take some mineral spirits on a Q-Tip to clean the preapplied paste out of the minute depressions there are left before applying the AS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds