Error Message "XUL Runner" Platform Version "1.9.0.4" not Compatible

Discussion in 'Software' started by zyklon, Feb 15, 2009.

1. zyklon

zyklon Private E-2

My computer gets the following Error Message everytime I try to go on Fire Fox, Restore to an ealier date, go to a website from a web address in an email in Outlook Express, download certain software or downloads:

XUL Runner
    Error:platform version 1.9.0.4 is not compatible with min version>=1.9.0.5. max version<=1.9.0.5 .

I am able, however, to get on the Internet with Internet Explorer. When I Clean the Disk, the number value of stuff to erase increases rather than get wipped out. It is now up over 300,000 MB's. It slowly started at 25 MB's and has grown very, very slowly. I Clean the Disk and Degfrag every time I use the computer.

My system is a Dell Dimension 3000 using Windows XP Home Edition.

This ubiquitous error message constantly pops up and blocks me from doing certain things. I have tried Restoring the computer to an earlier date. I have used the Dell drivers to try to clean the hard drive, but I am blocked.

I first noticed this in early November 2008. The Verizon Anti-Virus System did nothing to alert me to any viruses.

I have spent a good amount of time trying to solve the problem, but it is out of my knowledge of information.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Zyklon

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Ok let us start simply
    This may just be a corrupted install of firefox or and incompatability issue with a add-on.

Some Firefox issues can be resolved by downloading a new Firefox installer from Mozilla.com and then closing Firefox, deleting the Firefox installation directory and reinstalling Firefox. (On a typical Windows install, you would delete the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder and then reinstall Firefox using the "Standard" Setup Type.) Another option would be to uninstall Firefox and then reinstall into a different folder location, which is done using the "Custom" Setup Type on Windows and choosing a different Destination Folder for the install location (e.g., C:\Program Files\Firefox3). [3]

or for a completely clean install of FF

* First, download an official version of Firefox from Mozilla.com (or download Firefox 2 if your system can't run the current version) and save it to your desktop or other location. Avoid unofficial download sites that bundle Firefox with other software such as the Google Toolbar.
    * Next, completely uninstall your current version of Firefox as outlined in Uninstalling Firefox. (Note that removing the Firefox installation directory will also fix some problems related to old or incompatible browser plugins on Windows systems, by removing plugin files that may be contained in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder.)
    * Important: If you haven't already created a new Firefox profile as recommended in the "Profile issues" step, or if you just want to start fresh, you should also:
    o Make a backup copy of your Firefox profile folder and then
    o Remove your user profile data as outlined in the Uninstalling Firefox article; For example, Windows XP users should remove the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox folder. Note that the Firefox 3 uninstaller on Windows includes the option, "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations" to remove user profile data. [4]
    * Finally, reinstall Firefox by running the installer you downloaded previously, following the instructions in Installing Firefox.

Note that, if you removed your user profile data before reinstalling Firefox, it will start up with the Import Wizard, just as if you installed it for the very first time, and a new "default" profile will be created. You can then close Firefox and can selectively copy back your important profile data into the new profile and reinstall your extensions or themes.

Cut and paste from the Mozilla site^^^^^^^ (just had to dig a bit)

Here is the complete article
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox#Clean_reinstall

3. zyklon

zyklon Private E-2

Hi Petaluma,

Thank you for the help; it did the exact trick. I didn't believe it would work because I thought it was something from out of this world. It was a good learning experience for me. And I did read all the info you sent besides going to the other reference sources before I did anything.

I completely removed Firefox and downloaded the latest version, and all my PC problems went away. Wow!

Thank you.
    Zyklon aka Willis

PC I see you accumulate "Thank You's." If you tell me where I can go to put you in for a mark of achievement, I will give you credit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds