GPU frustration?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valmyre, Jan 2, 2008.

1. valmyre

valmyre Private E-2

hi ,

The problem seemed to start when i played the Witcher, I have a Geforce7600gt, the screen froze with artifacts after many hours/days playing on full settings, (which surprised me that i could play on full settings) anyway, i had to re boot and on the loading screens there are white horizontal lines, like road markings, i then was unable to get into windows and the 'no signal appeard' I was however able to get in on safe mode, I then re-installed older drivers (which is the only way i can get into windows (wierd) and then my pc said that new hardware was found (video controller) I then used the cd that came with my card burt after it installed my pc shutdown to no signal,is this a GPU issue or someting else,hmm not happy...:cry i am using win xp, any advise would be appreciated.

2. ellis902

ellis902 Private First Class

Maybe your graphics card has overheated , I had a similar problem on another game and ended up having to buy another graphics card.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

It may have overheated like ellis mentioned, to the point where it may have damaged the GPU. Depending on the manufacturer you may be able to get it replaced under warranty. Also, make sure the fan on the card is running, it may have seized up which would cause it to overheat really quickly. The artifacting sounds like a damaged GPU though

4. valmyre

valmyre Private E-2

thanks for youe help, i think it propbably is the gpu, i just ran dxdiag and it reports that the generic vga controller is being used...hmm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds