Period key not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leadingtone, Aug 22, 2011.

1. leadingtone

leadingtone Private E-2

I have a Toshiba L505 laptop running Vista SP1, and the period/greater-than key is not working.

It stopped working one evening about two months ago, but when I used the computer the next day it was working perfectly again, and has ever since until yesterday.

I removed the key and checked the contact...it is clean, and the assembly underneath the key looks and feels good, for what that's worth. There have been no spills or any other damage. All other keys work fine.

Just for kicks, I removed and reinstalled the Vista keyboard driver, which had no effect, as I expected. Is there anything else you know of that I could try, or should I just go ahead and replace the keyboard if the key continues not to work? For most purposes I can use ALT-46 or the period on the numpad for a workaround, but I do rather heavily use one application for my work which requires that key, so it's a pain.

Thanks very much.

2. leadingtone

leadingtone Private E-2

In case it's helpful to anyone in the future, I was able to (very, very carefully) remap the ./> key to right ALT by editing the registry according to this reference, which gives scancodes and editing procedures for any remaps one might want to do. It was less painful than I'd imagined.

But I'm wide open for any ideas as to how to further troubleshoot or possibly fix the key in question, short of replacing the keyboard. I wonder if it might be some sort of problem with the pin connector, etc., and if there's any way to tell?

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Unfortunately there is no simple fix other than to change the keyboard or disassemble the keyboard and clean it internally which can be almost impossible to do.

As a matter of course check all your other keys are working,check NO OTHER keys a stuck down,with the key removed press the key nub HARD with a pen to see if it types and check your keyboard regional settings in control panel.

Connect an external USB keyboard and make sure the period key works on that,you may want to use one until your new keyboard comes also.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

OOPS! Welcome to the forum:)

5. leadingtone

leadingtone Private E-2

Thanks very much, Rikky.

You're right--I think it would be just about impossible to truly take this particular keyboard apart and clean it. Earlier I had tried testing the nub with the key surface removed, as you suggested, and it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Just for kicks, I also tried doubling the ? / key on the . > key via the registry, because I thought this might help rule out any strange software remapping problem, but that didn't work either. The key doesn't work even with a different character mapped to it; so it appears that the key is just plain dead.

My real fear is that I'll order a new keyboard and the key still won't work because the underlying problem might be some sort of issue with the keyboard connection to the motherboard, but I guess there's only one way to find out...

I'm actually happy for now with the results of my original remapping to right-ALT (see previous post), but at some point in the near future I'll order a new one to see if it really is just that key or the actual keyboard...so hard to tell.

Thanks again. :)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Plug in a USB keyboard and see if the > /. key works.
    If so, then it is hardware; if not, it is software.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

A temporary work-around maybe to use an On-Screen Keyboard. (OSK)
    Check out http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/on-screen-keyboard

Despite the name, it works on my Windows 7 OS.
    BTW, I rarely use my laptop keyboard.
    I much prefer a separate keyboard and mouse.

Bazza

Search on on screen keyboard for lots more info.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=osk&...gc.r_pw.&fp=bbb49484d5a2445d&biw=1280&bih=633

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Attachment.

Bazza

Attached Files:

• OSK.jpg
      OSK.jpg
      File size:
      54.2 KB
      Views:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds