New Puter Ordered

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

This old dual core AMD just ain't cutting it anymore. So, ordered a 6 core AMD CPU, mobo, 8 Gigs of RAM, SSD, and a Win 7 disk. Will reuse my case, PSU and GPU.

Now just need to research how to get my Battlenet DiabloIII on it.

Have not built a box in a while, getting excited! :-D Around $450 shipped... computers are just insanely cheap. And I mean that in a good way. :-D

2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Sounds like a good plan Fred :-D:cool
    You are going to love the speed of the SSD :-D

Doesn't Blizzard save all your game data for Diablo III on their battlenet servers? If so won't you just use your login from your new PC after setting up the game?
    There are plenty of ways to migrate Diablo on the interwebs and a quick search beforehand should help you decide how to go about it ;)
    Have fun :major

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I think it does, will have to do a little research into it. But going SSD, and 8GB, with a 6 core CPU? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k

Not an Uber rig, but will be a nice upgrade. My quad core died a couple of years ago.

It is all fun. :-D

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Some benchmarks showed the T series six cores to be superior to the early Zambezi eight cores. It took me over two and a half years to build my current rig piece by piece, and I like the Vishera which is the crown jewel so far. 2.5 to complete, and I have no intent on making any upgrades for at least seven or eight years.

I'm guessing you went with a Vishera six core? If the six core is built on the same die as the eight core, an Asus board may be capable of unlocking the other two "cores", provided it is a "Black Edition".

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes Sir, Vishera six core it is. ;) Honestly, while I love overclocking and such, but going from a slow, old dual to a 6 core, not too worried about the other ghost cores. Board is an Asus... Don't recall anything about black edition.

6. the mekanic

7. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Fred, just log into Battle.net with your account info, and you can download and install the game direct from there. All your info/characters/gear will be exactly as you left them. :)

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I know nothing about Battlenet, but congrats on the new computer!

9. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Blizzard games are very forgiving.
    If you are heavily modded (and/or ISP bandwidth limited like me) you can save yourself by copying over the game folder, no download or installation required. Be sure to run as admin and you should be good.
    We have 5 gamers here so this trick saves us a LOT of downloading.

Gratzz on the new toy!

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good info on the copying folder, lots of downloads since I got the game DOA.

You got to learn some Battlenet Laura...

Wenchie, thought that was how it worked just never done it.

I did not get the Black Edition Mekanic. But I figure a 6 core at around 4GhZ is a huge improvement over an old dual core machine. I built this one for my Mom years ago, upgraded her a bit, and had this one to use when mine died. Will be nice to be a little closer to the cutting edge than this old 32 bit machine.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

How large is the SSD? Some say get at least 120 GB, I prefer 240GB. Though, my next build will be 1 TB.

Was just curious, since the c:\users directory will be quite large.

With an ssd I'd recommend tweaking the page file (I tend to use 4096), and turning off hibernation. But, I'm going by those who have ram similar to me.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

My new drive will be a 128GB or so. For prospective, my current computer is only using 40GB out of 200... So can toss in an extra old style drive if storage ever becomes an issue. I keep ye' olde box pretty spartan. ;)

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I need to download more stuff or what? :-D

Attached Files:

14. the mekanic

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Here is the best SSD tweak ever for 7 users:

Turn off scheduled defragmenting.

16. the mekanic

565 days, and counting...

Attached Files:

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Nice program to add to my list of diagnostic tools, thanks the Mekanic!

Attached Files:

• hds.png
      hds.png
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Actually, I do have an unlocked Black Edition. Once I get it up and running, will look into unlocking cores. I have no SATA DVD drives... the one I thought would work is IDE, so this one will be cranked up after a trip to the local Home Depot. Got it all hooked up and ready, except for the required DVD drive..;)

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sadly, even with sata dvd drives, it will be the slowest device on your computer. Everything else will be awesome! Enjoy your new computer!

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

True, but you got to have a way to get the OS on there. A whole lot better than when you had to use the floppy drives to install before putting the CD in the box. :-D

21. oma

oma MajorGeek

Congrats Fred. Keep in mind that a 64 bit computer uses up more space than a 32 bit. At least that's what I found out 3 years ago when switching to a 64 bit and remember my 1st PC in 2003 had only a 20 GB HDD, yet that was plenty then. :-D

22. the mekanic

You're quite welcome.

Thanks for #300!!! :major

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got hard drives for extra storage if that becomes needed. Got it up and running, it does not like the front USB computer case plugs, gives me a USB overvoltage error and shuts down. Unplugged them, will look into that Saturday. Got it updating the Windows stuff now. Got Win7 installed in about 20 mins, like that. Probably will go ahead and order another 8 gigs of RAM. Just cause I like a little overkill. :-D

Will look into some benchmarks this weekend, get some games on it, and see how it runs. It is a quite little beast, one 120mm exhaust fan, a 120mm rigged on a Nvidia 8800 I had laying around, and can barely hear it with both sides off. Loving the SSD hard drive.

24. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Fred_G where did you order your stuff from?

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I was lazy and instead of shopping around, just ordered from the Egg. ;)

26. theefool

theefool Geekified

Heh, my current computer doesn't have a DVD drive in it. I just install via USB memory stick. Much faster installing the OS that way.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_7_usbdvd_download_tool.html

I've been using this tool for quite some time. But, yes, having a dvd/blu-ray drive does help if you can't get high speed internet from where you are at.

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats kinda like the external blur ray writer I've had for several years.

Still haven't used it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time though!

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is cool to know! Never heard of that. But, it only took like 20 mins to install win 7. Would be nice to download the latest with all the updates! I think the updates took longer than the initial install.

29. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Theefool, am I reading your sig right?
    You have 64GB RAM in a box? If that is true, you are my new hero. :-D

30. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

The almost weekly blue screens make me want to upgrade. I am considering moving next summer so it may wait. Way easier to move only a HD than a whole box.

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I tell you, I love my new puter. Much faster than the old one. Do not regret spending the $. Looking forward to my other 8GB of RAM to show up. Truelly amazing what you can get these days.

I did not take a picture, but AMD did a pretty good thermal paste application, this is the first factory one I have used. They had it on the heatsink in a grid pattern that looked like it would spread and work well. Now, if I get into overclocking, might need some better cooling.

But really, with 6 cores, at 3.5GhZ? Not sure if it is even worth the time, other than a light overclock, just cause. :-D

32. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep, I mainly use it for running vmware workstation, then installing ESXi on top of that (embedded). Then utilize 48GB ram for running Virtual machines. But, I do need to add another SSD to my box since the 1TB drive can't keep up, so I'm looking to buy a 1TB SSD soon for just the VMs or the PCIe version, if I can figure out passthru from workstation to esxi.

But the X99 is around, though I have to wait for the ram to become available, for that sweet 128 GB of ram they support. May do that next year, since that would be quite expensive.

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is awesome, I don't really know what you just said, but is sounds technical. :-D And here I thought I was living large upgrading to 16GB. I do wish I had gotten a little bigger SSD. I have plenty of hard drives laying around, but love the speed of the SSD, might have to get another one of those. :-D

34. theefool

theefool Geekified

With just Workstation 10 running, you can install XP, vista, 7, and 8.1. Then update everything, create a snapshot of each. Install a program for testing. Done, well, revert back to that snapshot, and that program is now gone. I used this for a while here, when someone needed help on an application. Now I use this for more than just that. Also, supports various forms of linux, which I also use, and more. It is not free though.

You can use vmware player which is free I think, or there are others out there.

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You just trying to outgeek me. :-D

36. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, I need to spend more time here to get my "Post and Run Geek #2" offf my belt. I made that suggestion and it has stuck.

I hope soon to fix that.

37. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You could try for #1 ranking.

38. theefool

theefool Geekified

And, as I think about it, I'm fine with it.

39. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I'm trying not to derail the thread here, but I just wanted to say that this is a great link on configuring PCI-E SSDs with ESXi, it's the same guide I used when configuring slightly older servers with PCI-E SSDs and then re-purposing them as VM hosts. With newer motherboards (especially server motherboards) however, you might get lucky and the BIOS might recognize the PCI-E SSD as storage, then in that case ESXi should work on it with almost no additional configuration.

40. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

So Freddy now that you're all set up, buy me one? :p I'll run all those t6 rifts with ya, i promise :D

WoW is starting to slow down again until the 13th when the new expansion goes live, so I should have more time to D3 with you now :) Just not Tuesday/Thursday nights, those are my raid nights.

41. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

T6 rifts? Sign me up! I will power level if ya need it.

42. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Think I got a level 6 rift and one or two of the 'test' rifts if ya'll want to hit them one night.

43. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

i need to get a lvl 6 stone. I have have a few levels kicking around, mostly 11's, but I can get there pretty easy!

DOA you should come! You can be in my clan and everything ;)

44. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yeah, DOA, let me know when you are online, I can do Torment 1, sometimes T2 by myself, but it is a lot easier with a couple of people. What level and char are you? I have a level 70 and some Paragon of each class, but mainly play with my Monk, Paragon level 144 or so.

45. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I will be on tonight around 19:00 PST, 10/30/2014.
    I am willing to power level your alts if you want.
    What names am I looking for? I am in a pretty advanced guild so I will not be joining yours. Are we playing Season or regular? I prefer Season as the loot is better.

46. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hafa is my Battlenet name. Should be online around that time.

47. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Spammed whispers to Hafa#1163 for half an hour.
    I will try again Friday night, same time, 19:00 PST, goblins allowing.

48. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Never saw you. Not really up on the friend thing. But was online..

49. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Fred, is Hafa#1163 your BNet handle?
    If so I will send a friend request and try again.
    BTW, be sure you have a season char if you don't already. Don't worry about the level, it will be 70 in no time.

50. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, that would be me. Don't have a Seasonal char yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds