Windows vista home premium

Discussion in 'Software' started by ciarca, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

Hi guys

i would like to upgrade my laptop windows xp home edition, to windows vista
    home prmium, i ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it says that my laptop it's able to run the basic windows vista,but it doesn't have too many functions,so i would like to have some advice from you guys,thank you!

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What did it advise ye to do, with vista home premium?

What are your system specs? Or just give us your make and model of your laptop.

3. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

Hi theefool,it's just say that i can upgrade the basic windows vista,but hasn't got too many functions the basic vista,so i'm trying to find out if i can upgrade to windows vista home premium to my laptop anyway.

my modern processor is intel pentium M processor 730 533MHz FSB,support enhanced intel speedsteb technology.
    standar RAM 512 MB DDR SDRAM
    maximum RAM 1GB DDR SDRAM
    GRAphics intel 915 GM express chipset integrated graphics with 128 MB

thank you!

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Although I am not a Vista tester, and plan not to buy Vista untl the first Service pack (SP1) is released, I'd recommend bumping your RAM to the maximum (1 gig apparently in your case) in anticipation.

Even XP goes better with 1 gig so it will not be wasted.

Check out your manual to make sure that 1 gig is actually the maximum that can be utilised.

Maybe you can install 2 x 1 gig sticks, instead of 2 x 512 sticks, if you are really lucky. Bazza

===

5. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

Hi thanks,how do i bump my RAM? with a memory module?

6. bigbazza

Visit www.crucial.com for a free on-line RAM scam.:cool:

It will tell you what make make, model and speed of RAM you have installed.
    It will recommend what is the maximum RAM you can install (athough check out your manual or manufacturer's website for a second opinion) and give you $$$ costs if you buy from them.

You don't have to, of course, but it will provide a guide as to what you can expect to pay.

The RAM comes in a single stick and just clicks into a vacant slot.
    Usually only 2 memory (RAM) slots in a laptop.

Most laptops have access to RAM by undoing one or more screws in a panel on the underside of your laptop. Turn it over and you will probably see 1 or 2 panels that can be unscrewed. 1 will probably be for your RAM access, the other might be for hard drive access. Check your manual, and / or visit the manufacturer's website for confirmation.

Bazza

===

7. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

Hi Bazza,

Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
    Available Memory Slots: 0
    Number of Banks: 2
    Dual Channel Support: No
    CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz Model 13, Stepping 8
    CPU Speed: 1596 MHz

1GB total suggested upgrade

Total Price: US $139.98

but do you think that eventually i will be able to upgrade to windowos vista home premium? thanks.

8. bigbazza

Looks like you have 2 x 256 meg sticks to make up 512 megs, (as you probably have figgered out :D) thus no spare slots in your PC.:mad: :p

You will have to replace the 2 x 256 by 2 x 512, and maybe sell your old 2 x 256 sticks.

As for whether your PC is suitable to upgrade to Vista, there is a link to a MS link that will examine your PC and tell you what version of Vista you can upgrade to.

Someone else please step in, as I cannot quickly find that link just now.:eek:
    Gotta go.:(

Bazza

===

9. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

yes i have ran already that program and it says that my laptop is suitable to upgrade to the basic windows vista,but it's not what i want,i would lke to have home premium vista,no chances with this laptop? thank you bazza.

10. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

thus no spare slots in your PC.

i have a memory stick pro cmpatible slot?! nothing to do with that?

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

What else did it say. More than likely, your onboard video ram is not capable for vista premium.

12. roguetrip

roguetrip Private E-2

Why do you need home premium, its like XP Pro, Home Basic will equal to XP Home.

To run Vista Home Premium you need 1gb system memory, DX9 native video card with 128mb (min) ram to run Aero. Also needs about 2.5~3.0gb hdd space for the OS. Atleast a 800mhz CPU.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Vista home premium, is more like xp home and xp media center edition. :)

XP pro, is closer to Business or enterprise.

Ultimate is all the above. :)

14. ciarca

ciarca Private E-2

Thank you all,well i would like to have vista home premium becausse i can run
    aero,basic vista hasn't got it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds