No Sound with new Realtek Driver + BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by mistamoni, May 16, 2012.

1. mistamoni

mistamoni Private E-2

Ok, long story short, my sound is not working. However, I wouldn't come here and post this if I didn't try everything and wasn't desperate. The problem I'm having is very odd. The long, in depth analysis is posted below.

My PC setup is as follows:
    Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 42 °C
    Kentsfield 65nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3P (Socket 775) 31 °C
    Graphics
    DELL U2711 (2560x1440@59Hz)
    1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 47 °C
    Audio
    Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)​

I'm attaching a text file from speccy for more detailed info.

Here's the details of the problem. I custom built my PC from scratch, and my onboard sound card was working fine all these years. It's a built in Realtek card on the Gigagbit motherboard, and it had no issues. My video card was recently RMA'ed, and I got a Nvidia GTX550 Ti as a replacement. When I installed the card and installed the nvidia drivers, I noticed that it installed an nVidia HD audio driver. There are 4 that shows up under device manager, so I looked into it, and it's supposedly the built in HDMI audio on the card.

After that, my audio would have issues from time to time, so I figured I should just install the newest Realtek driver. Bad idea. Since I updated my audio driver to the latest realtek driver, my audio is completely gone. Realtek doesn't even show up in device manager anymore. Sometimes downloading a new copy and installing would work, but then I would get random Blue screen of death, and after restart, I would have no audio. I tried uninstalling and re-installing at least 5 times, no luck. I uninstalled nvidia drivers and tried realtek, still nothing. Infact, I can't get rid of the nvidia audio drivers, as windows automatically scans it at start up and installs it. I used Driver Sweeper AND DCleaner to clean all the realtek registry info, but it's still not helping. I tinkered with it for 6 hours yesterday, no solution.

I got frustrated, and borrowed an old Creative Lab Audigy sound card from a friend yesterday. I plugged it in, and it worked right off the back. I put my computer to sleep at night, and when I woke it up in the morning, after 10 minutes, BSOD again saying something like "driver incompatibility" or something along that line, and restarts. Now, sound is gone once again. The speaker on the bottom corner is not red though, so I think the sound card is still working and the PC can read it, but I'm guessing the computer is trying to use the onboard realtek card first, so no audio is coming out from my headphones.

I tried everything. I spent 3 hours this morning, and am pretty frustrated. If anyone can help me, please tell me what to do.

Attached Files:

• PC.txt
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
  2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , welcome to MG's :major , if you have any yellow question mark in device manager , go for it !! :wave

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok - right click to yellow device - Properties - Details - scroll down the arrow finding Hardware ids - there is a code in the box , we need it ( select all - copy - paste ) the code here

3. mistamoni

mistamoni Private E-2

Thank you for your reply. Here's the code from the yellowed out hardware. I'm guessing it's the new PCI card.

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&CC_098000
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&CC_0980

On a side note, I did now notice that the sound is working on the card if I plug in my headphones in the back of the card to the green headphone jack, but it's still not working through my PC's case headphone jack. I know I installed the internal wire from the case to the soundcard properly, as it was working fine yesterday, so it's strange to see it not working today.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

You may only need to go into your BIOS and enable your on-board realtek chip, F1 or Del during boot should get you into Bios.

6. mistamoni

mistamoni Private E-2

The program is not that helpful in choosing which driver I need. All it does is gives me a big list with multiple drivers in multiple sizes. How do I know which one to use?

There's no option in BIOS for this board to turn on the audio, trust me, I looked. It enables it automatically, but it's not working for some reason.

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your onboard audio can be turned off. It is under Integrated Peripherals. See pages 52 and 53 of your manual.

8. mistamoni

mistamoni Private E-2

Ah yes, thanks for that bit of info. I did disable it, and the PCI sound card is working. However, the audio ports on my case is still not working despite me hooking up the 1394 cable directly to the sound correct in the correct port. Only way I can get audio now is to plug the headphones all the way behind the computer, directly to the sound card, where in my previous setup, I had speakers in the back, and headphones in the front through my case. It's all very strange.

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think if you disable onboard audio, you would also be disabling your front ports. If you do not use HDMI, you could try removing the sound card, disabling the HDMI ports in Device Manager and then enable onboard audio. But, maybe just leave well enough alone if you are happy with the sound.

The specific audio driver for your computer is here. Updated 2012/03/06 5.10.0.6554
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2919#dl

10. mistamoni

mistamoni Private E-2

This driver did it, thanks a lot! I installed almost every driver out there, but none worked. Thanks for finding this one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds