links

Discussion in 'Software' started by laurieB, Aug 7, 2004.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

I'm not sure this is the right forum but can someone tell me what the 'links' button is supposed to do. is it the same as favorites? i don't understand its purpose. aloha

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

If you mean the links in favorites in IE

Its just a folder that comes with IE. You can create seperate folders and keep your favorites which are links to sites organized. If you dont want it just right click on the folder and delete.

3. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i meant the links button on the top tool bar. presumably it stores a page/site in the 'links' folder' but why? i was trying to see if i could have more than one web site open at the same time. it must be possible as MG posts links to other sites and when you 'X' off it doesnt close MG, only that site. i find myself flicking between various sites and each time i 'x' out i hafta start again. is this making any sense? aloha

4. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Im not sure if im following you right, but to open links in a new windows, right click on the link. Then click open link in new window. Are you using IE? If your using mozilla or firefox you can do tabbed browsing which is much more organized.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Do you mean the "quick Links" right above the forum here on Major Geeks?

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

im more confused. if i click on the 'links' button at the top of the page, it comes up with the following. if i then click where it sez 'links' (right or left click) the whole thing dissapears.

Attached Files:

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to open as many independent instances of I.E., or whatever you're using as you wish, available RAM depending. I often have 3 or 4 instances running at once.

The 'Links' button, as Wookie said is just another tool for organising your Favorites.

8. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

so what am i doing wrong? why cant i get the web pages to sit one on top of the other so that when i 'X' out of one the previous page is still there? ps. i have windows xp home and IE

9. Phantom

Yes, because you're turning the 'Links' Toolbar on and off, If that's what you mean.

To get another instance of M.G.'s or whatever running just open upen up I.E. again, without exiting (press da 'shrink' button), from the Start menu.

Attached Files:

10. Phantom

In other words, shrink your current window (the line button on the upper right corner). Then simply open up Internet Explorer again. You should then have your two instances of the i-net going.

(The Links thing is just for Favorites and has nothing to do with this, like you said).

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

that doesnt happen. as soon as i open up IE again the first page dissapears. ???

12. Phantom

Try setting your 'Folder Options' in the tools menu of Windows Explorer - (not Intertet Explorer, b.t.w)., to "Open each folder in its own Window"

Attached Files:

13. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

oooow. that simple. i test it now.

14. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no. i can only open one page at a time. if i try to open more than one the first goes out. i think the folder option applies to off line folders, not internet pages. ?

15. Phantom

Yeah, that's for Explorer's folders.

Just wondering if your 'Internet Options' (under the Tools menu), is set to the defaults? Worth a look. Other than that, I'm not sure what's up with it.

Guess you could try re-installing Internet Explorer itself, (from M.S.'s site), but I don't se why you should need to. :confused:

Attached Files:

16. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

mine looks like this now. i was told by MS to 'uncheck' third party browser extensions, but he diddnt say why.

Attached Files:

17. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Is your problem fixed?

If not (and before I waste anyone's time with an explanation) -- I'll just ask if you have Regseeker installed?

18. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no i dont have regseeker. and now i have another question. what is 'passive FTP' ??? and should it be checked? (i have dsl) why did the MS guy tell me to uncheck the third party browser?

Attached Files:

19. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ive gotta go do battle with the elephant grass. :( ill come back and play again later.

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

right click on task bar and choose properties.. uncheck the box that says "Group similar taskbar items"..

21. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok. testing

22. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no! doesn't make any difference. i can still only access one page/site at a time. doesn't matter if i minimize either. as soon as i try to go somewhere else the first thing disappears. :(

23. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

OK - I know you don't have regseeker...but this is why I ask and before someone wonders WHY I'm bothering to explain here's why:

Is there another program that has set simultaneous HTTP settings and is not allowing her to open more than one window?

When you "tweak" in regseeker -- up in the top right corner, you can set how many "windows" you have open at a time in IE. (see screenshot -- just there to show you the HTTP #)

Just offering it to see if it "rings a bell" with anyone.

Attached Files:

24. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

this is turning into another one of those 'things' isn't it. every time i expect something to be simple it isn't, and every time i expect it to be too complicated for me to understand, its simple. oh the wonders of geekism. :) i didn't really even know if i could open more than one page at a time. it was only thinking about the fact that it can be done in MG and playing with the button that sez 'links' that made me wonder. (you would think that these buttons had SOME purpose wouldn't you. are they there just to make the puter look cool?) :)

25. Phantom

It can be done, trust me!

Be patient, Grasshopper! ;)

26. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

'

to check or not to check that is the question. :) morning all

27. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

IT allows easier communication to FTPs through your firewall.... very basic explanation.

if you access FTPs through IE then yes it does help to have it checked... but if you use a 3rd party app like SmartFTP to access FTPs then their is no need.

28. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

sorry halo, coffee cant have kicked in yet....so i have zonealarm firewall, and IE. i take it that smartFTP is something you download? if so then i don't have it. if its something already in my puter than i probably do. i have XP home. what is an FTP and why would i access it? also the thing about third party browsers....what are they and should i check it or uncheck it? aloha

29. DavidGP

Yes.. SmartFTP is a downloadable app http://www.smartftp.com/ that is used to access ftp servers around the world... here is NASAs image FTP nssdcftp.gsfc.nasa.gov by using ftp's its a bit easier getting multiple files than having to click HTTP links.... once you have logged into a ftp its basically just like looking around your hard drive.. folders and file, you just highlight and download the data you need, some screenshots of what you see when using an FTP app to view a ftp http://www.smartftp.com/screenshots.php

and if you copy and paste the NASA link above into the address bar of IE and hit GO you will using IE see what an FTP is like... no glitzy pictures or animations just like i said above like looking around your HD.

3rd party ftp apps like SmartFTP come with their own passive option whereas IE also has its passive option in the menu you highlighted above Laurie.... if its not ticked and you use IE to access an FTP sometimes because of your firewall software it may just not connect giving you errors.. but if its ticked it will access the ftp ok.

its no problem just ticking that option in IE, as it wont harm anything!

a summary of FTPs
    http://war.jgaa.com/ftp/?cmd=about

30. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok...dont think im gonna need that to send emails or or edit pics or write reports etc. thanx for the explination. generally if i dont understand it, then i dont need it. seems to be something only true geeks would use, not innocents like moi. :)

31. DavidGP

Laurie.. did you use that app Regseeker that Pegg posted and find out how many simultainious HTTP sessions you have in that box?

also can you right click a link and choose open in new window?

32. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i didn't realize she was suggesting i downloaded regseeker. i thought she was just checking to make sure i didn't have it set wrong if i did have it. ?????i can right click on link and i get the following. if i press open the page comes up but if i 'X' off I'm still 'X'ing off the web. the same if i just left click the link. aloha

Attached Files:

33. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

unless of course regseeker is something that is pre-installed?? if so i dont know how to access it.:)

34. Phantom

Actually, Laurie, I HAVE come accross that problem before. In my case it was Internet Explorer itself that was damaged. unfortunately it is intergrated into the O.S. Bit no matter. You can go to Microft's main sit and re-nstall I-net explorer, if yo wish.

Might not help, bit it shouldn't hurt either. Internet Explorer tends to be pretty fragile at times. :)

35. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

I wasn't suggesting you download it. I thought it might "ring a bell" with someone that if this program let's you set the HTTP windows that are open, maybe another program does too (it's a registry cleaner...I just happened to notice this setting also and found it interesting to your case).

I suppose, like Halo says, you could run it and see what it says in that box.
    It's right here on MG:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2579.html

After you install it, just click on "tweaks" on the left hand menu and look for the "simultaneous HTTP sessions" box. It can't hurt to try it. You can just uninstall if it doesn't give you anything to figure this out.

36. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

downloaded it. it sez '4' in the little box, same as yours. when i clicked onto major geeks again it dissapeared. now i cant find it. search sez its in windows-prefetch but it wont open as anything i understand. its not in start-programs and its not in add-remove programs. good morning

37. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

if you think i should reinstall IE, do i need instuctions? (remember i dont know what im doing) aloha

38. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i ran all my cleaners and scanners. (just for the hell of it) my puter came up clean and secure. regseeker has now completely disappeared??? how would i uninstall and reinstall IE? is there some sort of process to follow? aloha

39. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I think the fact that MG opens links in another window is a setting that MA and CP have set up for this site in particular, so that when you close the new window, you are automatically back at MG. It increases the chance of staying on the MG site, instead of directing you off the site to another site. See? :)

The "Links" button is optional for you to use, and can be configured anyway you want it, or not at all. You can customize the entire browser bar at the top by unchecking "Lock the Toolbars" and then right click and select "Customize" You can pick which buttons you want, select big icons or small, text next to the icons, or not. When you are done with that, you can close that window, and put your cursor over the small dots.....the cursor will change to an arrow pointing both directions, something like this crude picture. Hold down the left mouse button, and drag it to wherever you want to place it. When you are done configuring your browser the way you want, right click, and lock the toolbars!

I use small icons with no text, and put the buttons, menus, address bar, and google bar all on one line so I have all the rest of the space to view the web!

As for why you can't open multiple windows, I'm clueless, but I hope this has helped you come.

Eric

Attached Files:

40. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

41. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

went there. did the first part where they had me run- regsvr32. didnt make any difference. the next step is to check the 'registry values' but it doesnt say how you do that !!!!:(

42. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

43. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i still dont get 'open in new window'. just 'open'

44. eclayton

You can also go to File at the top of IE and click on New/Window, (or hit Ctrl+N) and it will duplicate the window you are currently viewing. Then you can navigate in the new window without losing the old one.

I think Wookie is referring to opening links on a page, not the Links button on the browser.

For example, if you wanted to open this link in a new window, right click it and select "open in new window"

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=412063

45. eclayton

THat link I posted was a bad example, I went to edit it and put a different link there, but 3 minutes had passed, so it remains. Anyway, you get the point.

46. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no it wasn't. i didn't go to the link, just right clicked it to see if i actually got 'open new window' which i did. also the 'file-new-window' WORKS, so i guess you solved that problem. clever eclayton. I'm gonna buy 'windows for dummies'. it seems that most of my problems arise simply becoz i don't know how to use the thing properly. thanx to all that contributed to this thread. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds