Can't stay connected to internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Agahnim, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Agahnim

Agahnim Private E-2

I have to make this topic quick. Yesterday, I had an accident with HiJack This where I must've clicked the wrong thing without knowing it when clicking on the screen to scroll down it and it royally messed up my computer. I know that program pretty well and I know what I need to click and not click. It messed up my operating system to where I couldn't start it. I reloaded and fixed everything back to normal, got my files back and all except for 2 things I never encountered before. My internet only stays on for 5 minutes and shuts off like it is on a timer. I know for a fact that it isn't my internet service because it never done that before and plus, the internet works again for another 5 minutes exact time when I restart the computer. I don't know what is causing this either. I have a feeling that there is something on my computer disconnecting me from the internet, cable. I have crappy Windows 98 and will upgrade to XP when I get a new computer and when stores reopen back up from the Katrina damage.

Another problem I am facing is that MS Paint now says that jpgs and gif image files are not supported. I don't know what I need to do to fix that either but I thought I should mention that to. But right now, the internet problem is more important.

2. Agahnim

Agahnim Private E-2

*Edit* Since I am not allowed to edit my message on my message, I will leave this here.

After having to restart again, I discovered that it doesn't shut down my internet but instead, it shuts down my internet browsing usage. All of my IM programs were never disconnected and worked normal.

3. Agahnim

Agahnim Private E-2

Can anyone here identify what is happening to my computer? This is the weirdest thing I have ever encountered.

4. zepper

zepper Corporal

Boot from your WinXP install CD and run the "repair" option.

.bh.

5. Agahnim

Agahnim Private E-2

I would do that if I had XP. I have the error happy Windows 98.

6. ElitaOne

ElitaOne Private E-2

Having the same problem - I'm interested to hear any more suggestions to resolve this

I have the same problem...no browser (IE or Firefox) usage after 10-15 minutes after starting (or rebooting) my PC. I use Windows ME. I can get full usage of my email system (Thunderbird) within that open windown time frame, but once my browsing time gets kicked off my email web images stop working too.

I have this problem on using my modem and my LAN cable connection. My DH's PC is connected to the same hub and has no problems.

I'm quite frustrated as I've been dealing with this for almost two weeks and don't know what more to do. I've reloaded ME (hell week), optimized, used ad-aware and spybot, ran full anti-virus scan, repaired my TCP/IPs, yada, yada, and still have the same problem.

The only other problem I'm getting is a re-occuring VMM(01) blue screen error. Most of this stopped when I reloaded ME, but it still pops up from time to time.

I did try to run an anti-worm scan - actually several times - and it errors out half way and reboots my PC. I'm I onto something here???

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

@ Agahnim: Typically, when running HJT, there is a backup of all the items that were taken out. Have you reverted back to the original?

@ ElitaOne: You should start your own thread, instead of "hijacking" this one. :)

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

From my limited understanding, Hijack This only creates backups if it wasn't run from a temporary folder or zip container, so if a program folder wasn't created, then backup might not be an option.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Correct. But, typically one does not download the file to the %temp% folder, though, it is there, when downloading. Also, yes, if one were to double click the zip file, and run it from there, then you are correct.

:)

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

As I said, I'm no expert on Hijack This, and you would know more about it than me working in the Spyware Forum.

However, I've seen a lot of people run it from a zip file on their desktop.

I've said this before, but I think Hijack This is a great tool in the right hands, however in the wrong hands it can break a system.

11. ElitaOne

ElitaOne Private E-2

Agahnim:

I just resolved my browsing connection issues (shut off like clockwork, but email and AIM worked fine) after calling my ISP. Discovered that I had some lingering firewall files after I had uninstalled the program. I had to hunt and delete the lingering files (via instructions from the program maker) then do a registry clean up. (My fav being Tweaknow Registry Cleaner.) I haven't had any problems since.

If you had a firewall set up then removed it, there may be files leftover that are hampering your browser. Contact your ISP tech - they may confirm this for you. HTH.

ElitaOne

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds