windows media player 9 crashes when playing streaming media

Discussion in 'Software' started by hari, Aug 19, 2004.

1. hari

hari Private E-2

This is an odd one. I'm running win xp home edition, sp1. media player 9.00.00.3075. When i try to play a streaming media file (audio or video) in ie6 or firefox, the browser crashes with no error message whatsoever, it just disappears. This just started happening and I haven't installed any new updates or programs but sites like launch.yahoo.com or mlb.tv that worked fine 2 days ago will crash now if I try to play a media file.
    I tried reinstalling the media player, but that didn't fix the problem. I rolled xp back to a restore point where I know this was working, but no luck.

I did a search here and found this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37852

However, none of the solutions worked for me. Any advice or solutions would be much appreciated.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

Have you checked to see if media player is set to 'default player'?

3. hari

hari Private E-2

Do you mean in wmp/tools/options/file types? All the streaming formats are set to use WMP as the default player.

4. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Hari:
    this is not a solution to your problem: but I have experienced the same problem -the only way I have found to play such a file is through R-Click> open with Real Media Player -which opens the file and plays it, but it's hell to try and scan through the file...
    If you find a fix please post back here as I hate having to use Real to play audio/video files.
    Yours,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds