Kaspersky AVP

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This new (new to me anyway) Kaspersky AVP Tool looked interesting, and I'm always on the lookout for quality FREE antivirus tools, so I figured I'd give it a go. The link is here http://www.majorgeeks.com/Kaspersky_AVP_Tool_d4515.html I ran it on a PC that I previously scanned and found some malware on. It did pick up 3 things that 2 other scans didn't find. Great. But now I want to remove AVP, and it won't go! When you launch the setup, it creates a folder called "Kaspersky something..." in the directory where you ran the setup from. In this case, the desktop. AVP also drops an entry into the msconfig startup list. So I tried to delete the folder to the recycle bin. "Access denied. The file is in use". OK. So I removed the msconfig startup entry, and rebooted. Again with the "Access denied". Checking the task manager reveals that the AVP launcher (called 'setup_7') is still running. So I ended it. Again to the recycle bin, and still "Access is denied" and the file mentioned is called advdis.ppl (screen shot attached). Only this file is not showing in the task manager. WTF? How do I get rid of it? Safe mode? If I were less 'savvy' I'd be a might PO'ed at this point.....

Attached Files:

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the link, but it's all about KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) and not the AVP Tool. Besides, the link also says there's no official uninstaller/removal tool as of yet. There was a link to a KISv6 uninstaller, and I will try that. After reading that stuff, I thought I'd look in the Kaspersky folder on this PC. There's an "uninst000.exe" so I tried to run it. The attached screenshot shows the result. I just can't believe that this is such a freekin' pain to remove. What's the beginner supposed to do? Just leave it forever? Lame. This is really turning me off of Kaspersky products, and it isn't that far to go after they hooked up with AOL.... the only virus that people pay $25/month to use.

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, the KIS removal tool had an AVP removal script, and the readme said to run it in safe mode. Well, I did. It didn't do a thing. Except now on bootup (normal mode) I get an error message when the desktop loads. I don't remember what it was. This is such a massive pile of :crap I knew there was a reason why I hadn't even touched any Kaspersky products for years. I've had this block in my head that kept saying "no Kaspersky, no Kaspersky". Well, I saw the free AVP and my judgement went out the window. I really should listen to my intuition. I can get rid of by booting to Barts or something, but (again) what about the noob who has heard good things about Kasperksy (he wouldn't hear it from me) and decides to try AVP..... well, DON'T. It has good scanning/removal, but it's harder to remove than the viruses it's designed to eliminate. Again, lame.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:boxing :*** :mad :guns :banghead

:flip Kaspersky!!! :kissmy

It's finally gone. Ran regedit and scanned for anything with Kaspersky, AVP, and setup_7. You'd be surprised what this scanner installs. It also seemed to install some drivers (???) but I might be wrong there. Then I had to reboot in safe mode to delete the folders it created. And now that it's gone, the wierd error I was getting on boot is gone too. Whatever, I'm never, ever, going to even speak (or type) the name Kasper*** again. This whole experience eally soured me on the K team. It took me longer (and was WAY more trouble) to remove the virus removal tool than it took to remove the viruses. And I'm out.... one last thing.... lame.

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Glad that my link was somewhat usefull!

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

plodr- I did finally get rid of CRAP-ersky.... never again, my friend... NEVER again....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds