Laptop wont boot cdrom even when bios is set

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mastermosley, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

I've been using this very disk, windows xp home OEM disk, to boot this laptop many times, now it doesnt boot at all, it works when I click on it in the My Computer menu but not from boot. The disk isnt that scratched either?

2. You said the BIOS is set do you mean the boot order, have you checked to make sure that in security the CD rom boot is enabled.

3. jmgilmore4

jmgilmore4 Private E-2

Are you touching any keyboard when you are required to upon booting up? If you do not then it won't boot on a Win XP CD.

4. jmgilmore4

jmgilmore4 Private E-2

Are you touching any keyboard key when you are required to upon booting up? If you do not then it won't boot on a Win XP CD.

5. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

Ya its set for CD-Rom first, I have no Idea what that other thing you mentioned. I tried another boot cd and it didnt work either so its not the disk. I here the disk spinning when after its booted from the hd, is there anyway I can tampure with the Master boot record so that it wont boot and then just go to the cdrom? or any other sugestions

6. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

No, It would usually say press any key to boot from cd, but it passes that. Its a toshiba satelight and I've tried pushing f12 that lets you choose what to boot first and still nothing. The dvd-rom drive works fine when the os is loaded. I've tried uninstalling my drivers, even thought maby alchohol 120% or isoloader's virtual disks may be causing the problem but I uninstalled that too.

7. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

The weird thing that I don't understand is the fact that the dvd-rom works no problems. I can view the disks, I can burn its all good but it just wont boot wtf?

Toshiba Satelite A100
    Windows XP Home
    SP3

8. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

Okay so this is pretty weird. I took out the hard drive and volla what do you no it will boot from the disk, obviously that doesnt help me because you cant put it back in with it running. It doesnt matter what setting I choose:

if I put hardrive first in the list last in the list in the middle it always boots from the hard disk. I set a HDD password in the bios for my hardrive but the most fu*cked up thing is that this password will display before I can even enter the bios, and before I can enter the f12 choose what you want to boot thing meaning that the bios is booting from the hardrive as soon as it turns on before everything.......faulty bios?

9. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

HERE ARE MY CURRENT BIOS SETTINGS

Bios information: ACPI BIOS VERSION = 1.4

--MEMORY--
    total = 516096kb

--Password--
    Not Registered

--Battery--
    Battery Save Mode = Full Power

--PERIPHERAL--
    Pointing Devices = Enabled
    Hard Disk Mode = Enhanced IDE (Normal)

--DISPLAY--
    Power on Display = Auto-Selected
    LCD Display Stretch = Enabled
    TV Type = NTSC(US)

--OTHERS--
    Power-up Mode = boot
    CPU Cache = Enabled
    Level 2 Cache = Enabled
    Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode = Dynamically Switchable
    Auto Power On = Disabled

--Boot Priority--
    Boot Priority = CD-ROM->LAN->HDD->FDD
    Network Boot Protocol = PXE

--SYSTEM DATE/TIME--
    Doubt you need

--LEGACY EMULATION--
    USB KB/Mouse Emulation = enabled
    USB-FDD Legacy Emulation = enabled

--EXECUTE-DISABLE BIT--
    Execute-disable Bit Capability = not available

--DRIVES I/O--
    Built-in HDD = Primary IDE(IF0H/IRQ14)
    Built-in ODD = Secondary IDE(170H/IRQ14)

--PCI LAN--
    Built-in Lan = enabled

--HDD PASSWORD--
    HDD Password Mode = User Only
    User Password = Registered

10. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

solved wooo, flashed the bios to a new version works now. thanks all

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds