Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LyndseyMarie, May 31, 2010.

1. LyndseyMarie

LyndseyMarie Private E-2

Hi

I know very little about what to look for in laptops and especially when concerning graphics card. Can someone talk me through what I need to look at - explaining the terms like ram etc? I want to spend about £800 on a decent laptop and on things like the sims (don't judge!)?! I have a lot of music and files, and I do tend to have more than one thing up at a time. I have loads of files for my camcorder and that too. Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks again.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Most laptops have integrated video cards unless you pay a lot. What games do you plan to play with it?

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Look for a laptop that has dedicated graphics. My laptop has turned into my main gaming system, and it is not sold as a "gaming" laptop -- it's marketed as a multi-media machine by the manufacturer. Essentially, you want one that has "discreet graphics"--that's laptop speak for having a separate dedicated graphics card--and the ability to upgrade the RAM in a couple of years.

It's an ASUS N61Jq, if you're interested. It plays all my games without breaking a sweat, but since it's not marketed as a "gaming laptop" it was cheaper than they tend to be. Not sure what it costs in the UK, but if you can get a good deal on one, it is a very,very good little machine. I love it, I do everything on it. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds