Startup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, May 30, 2011.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Ever since I built this new computer, three motherboard driver items are in startup for every user on the machine, but I only want them to run on my account. The items are (from the Admin prompt on a limited user account):

CpuLevelUpHookLaunch.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite\CpuLevelUpHookLaunch.exe)
    UpdateChecker MFC Application (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUSUpdate\UpdateChecker)
    AsLoader.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AASP\1.01.02\AsLoader.exe)

The motherboard is an Asus P6X58D Premium (Intel i7 980X processor), OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, rest of the computer specs shouldn't be necessary, but if you need to know something else to help me sort this issue, please ask.

Anyway, every time a limited user logs onto the machine, the prompt to enter an Admin password to run all 3 programs pops up. It's annoying, to say the least. I can't find where the startup entry is for them, though. I've checked:

CCleaner's startup management list, they're not in there.
    Startup Control Panel 2.8 (32 bit), they're not under any of the tabs.
    msconfig - they're not listed there, either.
    Registry locations:
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    None of them are in any of those locations.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I thought I was in the Software Forum. If someone can move this, I'd appreciate it.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Just my first minute of perusal of the program is already telling me there's going to be a LOT to sort through to try to find these buggers.

4. satrow

It has a filter mode to ignore MSFT and/or Windows files, also checkout the Users, that's where you'll need to go to track them down. It needs refreshing after each change in settings to load/filter the new Registry section.

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Alright. Isn't Autoruns the program by MSFT? I've heard about it on the forums before, but forgot about it when I came to this issue.:-D

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, the Find... feature worked. They're located in the Task Scheduler. Now what?

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Nevermind... simply right clicked an entry, clicked Jump To... and it opened the Task Scheduler, which I'm able to edit the Trigger from Log on of any user, to Log on of specific user (my account).

Great, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be keeping this program in my arsenal for the future!

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

And, to wrap things up, I just logged onto another account and no annoying popups now!

9. satrow

A MSFT program?! HAH, they liked it so much, they bought the company ;)

Every geek should have the full collection of the Sysinternals/MSFT suite of tools - and reading of Mark Russinovich's blog should be compulsory!

I'm glad you got that sorted :)

10. BadActor

BadActor Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds